The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 02:13 PM

johnin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: West Canada River- NY

I fished several times and never really did as well as I had expected. If the fishing is not good, the "scenery" above the bridge at the top of the trophy water / catch and release is enjoyable during swiming weather. My home water is the West Branch of the Delaware and the fish there have Phd's. I find the West Canada trout even more selective. I hear if you time the white fly hatch just right, you can do well. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

I fished the West Canada last week. It's a nice, healthy stream full of nice healthy fish. Being that this wasn't a fishing vacation, but rather a vacation where I took some fishing gear, I didn't have quite what I needed... Those of you who've fished it know that it's pretty slippery.I was fishing in shorts and Tevas, no wading staff. There's one nice wide section where I got out as far as I was comfortable and tagged one very nice fish. The locals were wearing chest waders. I was also using my 8'6 Orvis Touch- a nice rod, but not made for that big water. I went up to below the dam- of course the water release horn sounded as I got out of the car- and caught 12-15 nice browns in about 90 minutes. Nice deep, muscular fish, kind of like Arkansas River browns here in Colorado. All were taken on an Elk Hair Caddis with a Bead Head Hare's Ear dropper, probably 3-1 in favor of the dry. Next year I'll bring some wading boots, a staff, and a different rod.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

A little addendum here... I checked out two other streams while in NY, the Black River and Cincinnatti Creek. The Black is a beautiful stream with zero trout. The Cincinnatti appears to be more suited to warm water fish than trout. We explored a couple hundred yards of it, from the Trenton Assembly Park upstream, found exactly 3 fish- 2 bullheads and 1 big sucker. My guess is that these smaller local streams get fished for stockers until they're gone.