The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 06:10 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default West Canada River- NY

I've gained- by marriage- a summer cottage in the Barneveld area. I'm going to spend some time there end of June/beginning of July. I haven't researched it yet, but am told the West Canada is C&R Trophy water. What's needed for that time of year?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:20 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: West Canada River- NY

You may want to check the canada section of this site. Try Fly Fishing in Canada - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

This may be of some help.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:30 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nick, I'm sending you a PM with a few sites that have information on that waterway with regard to hatch charts and the like. I'm not posting them here on the thread only because some have their own message boards/forums attached and due to forum rules thats a no-no. I'm in Buffalo most the year and I'd love to shoot out that way (it's 3-4 hours driving for me directly east, since Barneveld is directly east of Syracuse and pretty much dead-center of Central NY) for a scouting trip for you, but that time of year I'm usually away do to fieldwork. I'll see what I can do!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

It's a great stream-- AJ's hatch charts should get you squared away with flies.

Here's a link to NYS DEC web page on West Canada Creek-- on the right you'll see links to maps of different sections showing public access ( stream easments and parking) Fishing the West Canada Creek - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Old 04-21-2012, 05:17 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Great, thanks, guys.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hope I didn't do anything wrong! If I did, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 04-22-2012, 02:24 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Talked to a local from the West Canada / Hinkley Reservoir area a couple of weeks ago, and there is considerable concern over the lack of snow, lack of runn-off causing very low water, even this early in the season. June / July could likely be worse!

Hinkley has has drought concerns in several recent years, and those were years with higher snow fall / spring thaw water totals.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 04-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Hincley's at 1219 today, spillway is 1225. That seems like a pretty big river to be affected enough to cause concern, no. Or is there a drop-dead level at which the water release slows enough to bring the temps up in the river?
Old 04-22-2012, 04:17 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I honestly don't know enough about it as a fishery. I only fished there once, many years ago, before I took-up fly-fishing.

However, with my work hat on (I am Chief of Training & Exercise for NY State Office of Emergency Management), I can tell you that Hinkley Reservoir water release has been a huge political hot-potato in at least 2 or 3 of the last 10 years, with local battles between the Canal Authority, the power producer (Brookfield?)), the county water authority, and several other parties. This has resulted in State Drought Taskforce Meetings, Legislative Hearings, and a handful of legal actions and other administrative and media vulgarities.

As it was explained to me (and I'm not 100% read-into the matter), the ultimate water rights belong first to the power producer, then the Canal Authority, and only THEN to the Water Authority, however the water authority is rapidly expanding and seems to need more and more water every year. So the fishery and the other recreational users, both above and below the dam, are the ones who suffer....

At least twice in the last few years, water levels dropped in late Summer to the point that boat owners couldn't get their mud-bound boats out. One year (2008 or '09?) it happened before Labor Day, and vacation property owners who usually pull boats and docks on Labor Day Weekend were left high and dry.

As the power producer and the Canal Authority draw off water for their purposes, the water level drops to the point that the Water Authority intakes can no longer be safely and effectively supplied. So in the end, it also becomes a health and safety issue....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 04-22-2012, 07:15 PM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road

I sent you a pm