The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By peregrines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default What patterns/sizes?

Last week may, First week June- Beaverkill and Willow. What should I bring for dries and nymphs? Thanks.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What patterns/sizes?

Wow- you picked a great time to be there. This year seems a little crazy with all this warm weather, but typically last week May and first week of June is a great time to be up there.

For dries, although traditional Catskill style hackled patterns are used, comparadun style patterns that sit in the film are also popular. You can find traditional patterns for the hatches below as well as comparadun versions (ie March Brown Comparadun). You can also find more specific imitations for the nymphs of these hatches, but the common ones listed are pretty close

hatches

Blue Quill 18 (pheasant tail nymph)
Blue WIng Olive (pheasant tail nymph)
March Brown 12 and Grey Fox 14 (hares ear nymph)
Green caddis 16 18
tan caddis 14-16
Light Cahill 14 (hares ear nymph)
Sulphur 14-18 (dorothea comparadun size 16-18) (pheasant tail nymph)
Slate Drake (aka Isonychia) 12-14 (Zug Bug or Prince for the nymph)

This is also the time you may run into big stuff. Both Green Drakes and Brown Drake hatches may be happening. You'll want to pick up some locally tied green drake patterns (nymphs emergers, green drake dries (for the dun) and coffin flies (for the green drake spinner) and some brown drake patterns.

Look to top off your fly boxes at the legendary Dette Trout Flies on Cottage Street in Roscoe (You can also find them online, they have daily stream reports (both stream flows and hatches) both online and on recording (607) 498-5350. You may also want to browse the "flies" section of their website. The Dette family is part of Catskill (and US) fly tying history.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
gatortransplant likes this.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: What patterns/sizes?

Red Owl, I'm jealous, I absolutely love fishing that area, I can't wait to get back out there! Good luck out there, and practice your longer casts... last time I was there a buddy and I were having to cast 80-85' to fish rising to blue quills. Prior to that I didn't even know I was capable of such a cast. Certainly there will be closer risers, but at least in the case of the particular pool we were fishing, the fish were rising about 5' off the far shore. No harm in being able to pull the long cast from the quiver if necessary!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...