The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Got to fish with a fellow forum member last evening...

My sincerest thanks to AJ (Gatortransplant) for a great evening of fishing on the Ellicott Creek, outside of Buffalo, NY. I had to be in the neighborhood for a week of training that I'm delivering, I had asked him about some places that I could go, and instead, he had offered to take me. AJ is a great "representative" of Allen Fly Fishing, and is a virtual "walking catalog" (or encyclopedia) on Allen, or on anything related to fly fishing.

We both got soaked, as there was a steady rain, but we both caught and released a couple of nice rainbows. There was a pretty amazing hatch going on despite the rain and cold weather, and the fish were rising to the hatch. I was fortunate, as I'm not experience enough yet to be "good" with drys, but they were hitting emergers and nymphs as well.

Here's a few pics that AJ took of me with one of my 'bows, both trying to get ahold of him to release the hook, and then holding him in the current to release him. I have never seen stockies with this much brilliant color. Most of the stockie "rainbows" closer to home look like silver trout. These had bright pinks, greens, aquas, and were truly rainbows.

BTW - Both of the fish that I caught were caught on flies that I had tied, making the experience even better.

We finished off the evening with a hot meal (and a cold adult carbonated beverage) at a local brewpub before going back to the hotel to hang all of my equipment to dry.

All-in-all, another great reason to be involved in this forum. You meet some great people who have similar interests (or obsessions!).

Click the image to open in full size.

Davo and peregrines like this.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Got to fish with a fellow forum member last evening...

Hi Rick,

It sounds like you guys hit it off great. I think AJ has the record for meeting forum members.
grassonfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Rick and AJ fishing and getting soak together....must have been great fun
Always exciting to fish with another forum member
Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I have met some of my best fishing friends on forums just like these! In a few days, I'll be in Cali fishing with "Creeker"
Old 05-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
I have met some of my best fishing friends on forums just like these! In a few days, I'll be in Cali fishing with "Creeker"
Brookfieldangler: The same here! I've fished with a number of the members here and always had a great time.

Rick: Looks like you guys had a great outing despite the wx, congrats!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 AM

groovey is on a distinguished road

Awesome remember a bad day of fishing is still way better then a good day @ work
Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Good for you and AJ!! I've met and fished with several members. I agree it is one of the experiences that makes this Forum great!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-04-2012, 01:44 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yeah that weather could have been better, but at least the fish were cooperating. Unfortunately I did not have a good stash of #20 sulphur dries, or else I think we would have done a lot better with dries as well...

Unfortunately the fish wasn't doing a whole lot of cooperating for the photos! He was itching to get back in the water, didn't want to get wet from the rain of course! And yeah, the back of my Jeep looks a bit like a small Allen warehouse, but what can I say, I like the gear, I think I spend equal amounts on Allen gear and rent every month. Of course I need rods in every line-weight and length despite my short tenure as a fly fisherman And while I doubt I have the distinction of most forum meet-ups, it sure is great, as Rick and others have said, of getting to meet up with fellow addicts!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Great that you guys got together! And imagine my surprise to find you hooking trout in Ellicott Creek! 50 years ago (OMG, Really? 50??) when I lived a short bicycle ride away and was 12 years old, I don't think a carp could've lived there. Will wonders never cease!

A.J., good on you for really answering the call.
Gary
Old 05-04-2012, 02:21 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

The section we were fishing was a little higher up and is stocked with rainbows but also holds good-sized pike (for a creek), both largemouth and smallmouth bass, carp, panfish, and other fish, but a ways downstream (maybe ten minutes by car) I have caught steelhead on two separate occasions and seen some VERY large carp and good-sized LMB and pike. Gary, let me know the next time you're in the area (that offers is extended to any forum members as well!)

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...