The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   Trout power (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/275599-trout-power.html)

mattwolf 05-11-2012 10:16 AM

Trout power

I wanted to let everyone know about a fishing tournament that will be held in central/upstate, NY. This tournament is intended to bring attention to a great trout river called the West Canada Creek. There is a lot of information about it on www.troutpower.com. Jordan Ross a local fly fisherman and a terrific rod builder just told me about this event. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I do not know much about it, but I told Jordan Ross that I would post some information on the PA Fly Fishing Website. I would love to see some guys from PA make it up here to check out our trout waters.

Check out www.troutpower.com for more information.

Thanks,

gatortransplant 05-11-2012 10:38 AM

Re: Trout power

Would love to take part, but I have a Gaelic Football match in Buffalo on the 9th unfortunately. I'll keep the idea on my schedule for next year, and here's hoping for great luck with the tourney!

Hardyreels 05-11-2012 11:15 AM

Hi Matt,

For many fishermen bringing attention to a good river is not what we would wish for. I think that if fly fishing deteriorates into contest fishing such events will ruin the craft and put undo pressure on fisheries.

Only my feelings on these things but I don't expect them to change.

Respectfully,

Ard

milt spawn 05-12-2012 07:29 PM

I don't subscribe to the competition ethos either, but there is the possibility that this stream may NEED attention, in the context of restoration or conservation. milt.

wt bash 05-12-2012 11:12 PM

I'm not a tournament guy either but the reasons are interesting, going off what I've read on the blog and a few other sites. Hopefully it works out for you guys but in a way I kinda can't see it happening that way. I don't want to come off as overly negative but I could see issues with landowners and the topics you addressed in the blog. There's also "what happens down the road?" to consider, this could be somewhat of a double edged sword. There's a difference between shedding light on a subject and spotlighting it, to be honest if it were a watershed I fished regularly I'd likely be in total opposition of this but who knows maybe it works out in positive way. I wish you best of luck with it.

mattwolf 05-15-2012 04:23 PM

Ard,

I am not sure if you read the blog or not through the link, but it is not really a fishing tournament. It is more to bring awareness to this fishery. We are hoping to bring some extra revenue to a few small towns that could use it along the banks as well. We are not hoping for huge hotels or condominiums, just maybe some people will travel to the Central New York and the Southern Adirondacks to try it.

Thanks,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 446636)
Hi Matt,

For many fishermen bringing attention to a good river is not what we would wish for. I think that if fly fishing deteriorates into contest fishing such events will ruin the craft and put undo pressure on fisheries.

Only my feelings on these things but I don't expect them to change.

Respectfully,

Ard