The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 AM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road
Default Trout power

I wanted to let everyone know about a fishing tournament that will be held in central/upstate, NY. This tournament is intended to bring attention to a great trout river called the West Canada Creek. There is a lot of information about it on www.troutpower.com. Jordan Ross a local fly fisherman and a terrific rod builder just told me about this event. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. I do not know much about it, but I told Jordan Ross that I would post some information on the PA Fly Fishing Website. I would love to see some guys from PA make it up here to check out our trout waters.

Check out www.troutpower.com for more information.

Thanks,

Last edited by mattwolf; 05-11-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added more information
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trout power

Would love to take part, but I have a Gaelic Football match in Buffalo on the 9th unfortunately. I'll keep the idea on my schedule for next year, and here's hoping for great luck with the tourney!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Matt,

For many fishermen bringing attention to a good river is not what we would wish for. I think that if fly fishing deteriorates into contest fishing such events will ruin the craft and put undo pressure on fisheries.

Only my feelings on these things but I don't expect them to change.

Respectfully,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2012, 07:29 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I don't subscribe to the competition ethos either, but there is the possibility that this stream may NEED attention, in the context of restoration or conservation. milt.

Last edited by milt spawn; 05-13-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'm not a tournament guy either but the reasons are interesting, going off what I've read on the blog and a few other sites. Hopefully it works out for you guys but in a way I kinda can't see it happening that way. I don't want to come off as overly negative but I could see issues with landowners and the topics you addressed in the blog. There's also "what happens down the road?" to consider, this could be somewhat of a double edged sword. There's a difference between shedding light on a subject and spotlighting it, to be honest if it were a watershed I fished regularly I'd likely be in total opposition of this but who knows maybe it works out in positive way. I wish you best of luck with it.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 PM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road

Ard,

I am not sure if you read the blog or not through the link, but it is not really a fishing tournament. It is more to bring awareness to this fishery. We are hoping to bring some extra revenue to a few small towns that could use it along the banks as well. We are not hoping for huge hotels or condominiums, just maybe some people will travel to the Central New York and the Southern Adirondacks to try it.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Matt,

For many fishermen bringing attention to a good river is not what we would wish for. I think that if fly fishing deteriorates into contest fishing such events will ruin the craft and put undo pressure on fisheries.

Only my feelings on these things but I don't expect them to change.

Respectfully,

Ard