The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 PM

graybugslinger is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Swift River Massachusetts

Hit the Swift today, the fish are getting really picky. Tried every damn pattern I had without getting into the ridiculous. Didn't manage to land a single fish, saw a lot of rainbow and brookies though. The guys that were landing anything were throwing sulphers between 22-26. Terrestrials didn't really seem to interest them. Worse ways to spend a day though.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybugslinger View Post
Hit the Swift today, the fish are getting really picky. Tried every damn pattern I had without getting into the ridiculous. Didn't manage to land a single fish, saw a lot of rainbow and brookies though. The guys that were landing anything were throwing sulphers between 22-26. Terrestrials didn't really seem to interest them. Worse ways to spend a day though.
Yep, I've had days like that! Sometimes, I resort to nymphing the bubbler arm--with the faster moving water, the fish can be a bit less picky.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:34 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road

They were hitting little sulfer midges when I was there. I saw people nymphing the bubbler arm but I didn't see anyone catch anything, nor did I see any fish in it.

If you go below the bridge, there were some fish there and it was wadeable. I didn't go too far down so I'm not sure how far down you can wade, but it might be worth checking out to avoid a crowd.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wt View Post
They were hitting little sulfer midges when I was there. I saw people nymphing the bubbler arm but I didn't see anyone catch anything, nor did I see any fish in it.

If you go below the bridge, there were some fish there and it was wadeable. I didn't go too far down so I'm not sure how far down you can wade, but it might be worth checking out to avoid a crowd.
You can wade quite a ways further downstream from the hatchery, but the kayak hatch can be prolific on the weekends.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:14 AM

graybugslinger is infamous around these parts

Wound up going back again on Sunday, popped a good sized rainbow on a 24 midge with a little bit of yellow on it. Had a couple bites off a flying ant pattern, but couldn't land them. Better fishing than Saturday though for sure.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

On below the bridge, just make sure you are looking at trout. As a sidebar, I was fishing below the bridge about 25 years ago with the old red ball, rubberized chest waders and they were leaking. Well I was already wet so I just stayed as they filled up- I didn't have a belt back then. Finally I crawled out on the bank with the waders full of water and it looked like I weighed 600 lbs- got lots of laughs.
When fishing is hard I think "going small" is always a good tactic. Did you use 8x on the tippet? These days I just can't thread a #24 with 8x- I can't see it, especially on the stream. I'm thinking about rigging them up ahead of time, a #24 with about 18" of 8X and then do some sort of double surgeon's knot on to the end of the leader- or maybe a loop to loop- not sure how to do it.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:10 PM

Hahah yeah when I was out there the first night it was getting dark and I was trying to put a small midge on. Fiddled with it for fifteen minutes before giving up.

What do you mean by make sure it's trout? Salmon down there too?
Old 08-21-2013, 04:36 PM

englishspringer is on a distinguished road

As a "newbie" to Fly Fishing and living in Eastern, MA the Swift is the only game in town in the mid summer. I've been there 4 times since the beginning of July and have learned a few things things. I humbly submit my learnings thus far:

1) There are a lot of great Rainbows (mostly) in the Swift and they are great fighters and a thrill to catch. I hear that there are some really big fish but for me the "good" size Rainbows seem to be 14" to 16".

2) This river sees a lot of fishermen weekends and weekdays. The famous Y pool appears crowded at all times (I've only squeezed in amongst the others there once, and got skunked). The good news is there are plenty of fish and good spots above and below the route 9 bridge, just don't expect solitude.

3) It's crazy how tiny you need to go with flies and tippet! 6X leaders and 7X tippet is apparantly normal but as a rookie with bad eyesight it's hard to tie knots or even see your dry flies on the water. This past Monday I asked a guy who was doing well what he was using and he said "size 30 nymphs and 8X tippet".

4) The fish are experienced and selective; The water is crystal clear and the fish aren't shy, they swim right by you. Unless you have what they're looking for they usually won't hit.

5) using a 9' rod I'm having a hell of time getting fish into my net. Anyone have any tips? It's embarrasing to not be able to land these beauties but with a long rod in one hand and a net in the other it can get comical as I flail around. I try to find the quiet spots so the others won't see me look like an idiot!

I'll have to learn what "normal" trout Fly Fishing is like once the weather cools and I try out some of the closer trout streams near me. I look forward to using bigger leaders/tippet and size 14-16 flies.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishspringer View Post
As a "newbie" to Fly Fishing and living in Eastern, MA the Swift is the only game in town in the mid summer. I've been there 4 times since the beginning of July and have learned a few things things. I humbly submit my learnings thus far:

1) There are a lot of great Rainbows (mostly) in the Swift and they are great fighters and a thrill to catch. I hear that there are some really big fish but for me the "good" size Rainbows seem to be 14" to 16".

2) This river sees a lot of fishermen weekends and weekdays. The famous Y pool appears crowded at all times (I've only squeezed in amongst the others there once, and got skunked). The good news is there are plenty of fish and good spots above and below the route 9 bridge, just don't expect solitude.

3) It's crazy how tiny you need to go with flies and tippet! 6X leaders and 7X tippet is apparantly normal but as a rookie with bad eyesight it's hard to tie knots or even see your dry flies on the water. This past Monday I asked a guy who was doing well what he was using and he said "size 30 nymphs and 8X tippet".

4) The fish are experienced and selective; The water is crystal clear and the fish aren't shy, they swim right by you. Unless you have what they're looking for they usually won't hit.

5) using a 9' rod I'm having a hell of time getting fish into my net. Anyone have any tips? It's embarrasing to not be able to land these beauties but with a long rod in one hand and a net in the other it can get comical as I flail around. I try to find the quiet spots so the others won't see me look like an idiot!

I'll have to learn what "normal" trout Fly Fishing is like once the weather cools and I try out some of the closer trout streams near me. I look forward to using bigger leaders/tippet and size 14-16 flies.
Well, I am by no means a trout expert, having spent most of my fly fishing years chasing bass, but here are my thoughts:

1) Yes, the bows are most plentiful, but I've seen (big) brookies as well. I understand there are browns in the Swift, but I've not seen (nor targeted) them. Don't forget the LL Salmon.

2) I agree, there are plenty of fish all over the Swift, but the Y-pool is not always crowded. I've had it to myself in late fall and early spring during the week. Of course, I was skunked both times, but I did get a spectacular Das Boot-style refusal from a LL Salmon on a Chubby Chernobyl once. The fish breached like a submarine and then said "Nah" last minute. I agree 100% that the Swift is not a solitude-type river, although I have found it to be so occasionally.

3) The guy may have been messing with you. I don't think you have to go below 7x and size 22 nymphs. Now, I did buy some size 26 nymph hooks this year, so...

4) Presentation, presentation, presentation. If it looks like food, they'll hit it. Of course, that's easier if it looks like what they've been feeding on, which is very often something like a size 22 grey scud, or a midge pupa/larva.

5) I'm not sure what troubles you're having, but if I have a fish on the line, I don't mind other Swift River anglers seeing me deal with it! No matter what their expression, I would interpret it as jealousy! Don't worry if a fish comes unbuttoned--it happens to everyone.

Keep at it. I've had good days and bad days on the Swift, but not a one of them was bad, if that makes sense.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:00 PM

I've not seen brookies but I can confirm the browns as I caught a good one when I was there recently. Fought well too.