The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 PM

bowsie15 is on a distinguished road

Eddie let me know how you do planning on making at least one more trip before the winter !!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 AM

friar tyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Swift River Massachusetts

This is a good time of year to fish the Swift. They just did the fall stocking about 2 weeks ago. I was up there fishing a few days after the stocking and the fishing was great. I caught quite a few rainbows all 15 inches or bigger.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Guys as this will be my first time on the Swift, what would you recommend in terms of rod / line weight? From what I've seen from the bridge I'm guessing a 7 1/2 #3.
Any help appreciated
Old 10-15-2012, 10:23 AM

friar tyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill View Post
Guys as this will be my first time on the Swift, what would you recommend in terms of rod / line weight? From what I've seen from the bridge I'm guessing a 7 1/2 #3.
Any help appreciated
Allot of the locals seem to prefer lighter rods and tippet. It's not unusual to see someone with a 000 wt rod there casting tiny flies. I've had good luck using a short 4 wt rod with 5x or 6x tippet and flies between size 18 - 10.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the information. Hopefully going up tomorrow, I'll let you know how it went
Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Well I made the 98 mile trip on Tuesday morning. I arrived at 08:00 and I was the only guy on the river. The river above route 9 was gin clear and fish were evident in good numbers. Plenty of Rainbows and Brook trout.
Although the weather was good, sunny and clear there was a chilly wind blowing and as a result there was very little top of the water action. There were quite a few trees down across the river, I guess as a result of a fairly recent storm, this however did not detract from the wading and gave a fair bit of cover for the fish.

I did struggle for the first few hours, eventually switching to small nymphs and did start to get a fair bit of interest, but did not manage to land any fish. I suspect my flies may have been a bit on the big side, size 14&16.
I met a few guys throughout the day, all of which were very friendly and offered some sound advice on the river. One guy had quite a few fish on a wooly bugger, not a fly I would normally fish on a river, but it worked for him. I did not see a great amount of fly life, maybe the time of year.
A few pictures

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I enjoyed the day and will definitely return.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 PM

Hey Ed I wish I was on here before you went anyways next time you go use a San Juan worm they are deadly there. The rainbows and salmon can't resist them. Use the red and orange ones. There's a tackle shop back in the center of town that carries them R&R sports its on federal st in belchertown. I hope to go out there one more time this year.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the tip, just looked at the fly, never heard of it before. Easy to tie, so I'll make sure I've got some for the next trip.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:54 AM

Ya no kidding all it is is a piece of string basically!

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

Ya no kidding all it is is a piece of string basically!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:00 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I think the Swift is maybe the best stream in Massachusetts but it gets a lot of pressure and IMHO the fish are very educated. I see the Swift as a technical challenge- you have to do everything just right- you normally cast to sighted fish. Match the hatch? Yeah but maybe even more important is a flawless presentation. Well worth the trip there.