The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 07:20 AM

friar tyer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Swift River Massachusetts

Red Owl hit the nail on the head. The Swift is a very technical river were presentation is key. The drift has to be perfect for fish to even be interested in the fly. It's not uncommon for a fish to follow the fly watching the drift. Sometimes they'll even nose bump it 2 or 3 times before striking. Trout eyesight is very poor compared to ours. They can't see detail of flies too well, but they sure can see a tiny bit of drag.

Fly size doesn't matter much during the warmer months at the swift. I catch dozens of fish there on my size 10 hopper pattern. My other top producing fly is a size 14 beetle. Sometimes I think the old locals like to mess with newcomers a bit by telling them to use size 32 midges on 10x tippet. It's easy to think the fly your using is too big with the fish being so educated. I always tell people on the river to try different flies and sizes. I've seen some big weird patterns produce very well there.

The only time I've had any luck matching a hatch is the midsummer sulfur hatch. Other than that I don't see any hatches going on big enough for the fish to key in on.

Great river and worth the time it takes to learn it.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 AM

bowsie15 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar tyer View Post
Red Owl hit the nail on the head. The Swift is a very technical river were presentation is key. The drift has to be perfect for fish to even be interested in the fly. It's not uncommon for a fish to follow the fly watching the drift. Sometimes they'll even nose bump it 2 or 3 times before striking. Trout eyesight is very poor compared to ours. They can't see detail of flies too well, but they sure can see a tiny bit of drag.

Fly size doesn't matter much during the warmer months at the swift. I catch dozens of fish there on my size 10 hopper pattern. My other top producing fly is a size 14 beetle. Sometimes I think the old locals like to mess with newcomers a bit by telling them to use size 32 midges on 10x tippet. It's easy to think the fly your using is too big with the fish being so educated. I always tell people on the river to try different flies and sizes. I've seen some big weird patterns produce very well there.

The only time I've had any luck matching a hatch is the midsummer sulfur hatch. Other than that I don't see any hatches going on big enough for the fish to key in on.

Great river and worth the time it takes to learn it.
Good points friar tyre also if you want to catch salmon and lake trout that spilled over the top of the dam during high water use a large streamer with a full sink line retrieving rapidly. At the Y pool there are 25" + salmon and I've seen up to 30" also. I also got some awesome under water footage of these fish at the Y pool and the upper pool. If you want to check the videos out they are on you tube under bowsie15. Let me know what you think. I still want to go fish it one more time this year anyone ekes going???
Old 10-24-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsie15 View Post
Good points friar tyre also if you want to catch salmon and lake trout that spilled over the top of the dam during high water use a large streamer with a full sink line retrieving rapidly. At the Y pool there are 25" + salmon and I've seen up to 30" also. I also got some awesome under water footage of these fish at the Y pool and the upper pool. If you want to check the videos out they are on you tube under bowsie15. Let me know what you think. I still want to go fish it one more time this year anyone ekes going???
Awesome underwater footage! I've caught a few salmon there, but they were on pheasant tails.

I'm planning on going up there Friday. I try and go at least once a week if I can.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

On the presentation aspect...I don't mean to go over basic stuff but in addition to drag I would say as light a tippet as possible, laying down a very gentle line and letting it well past the fish before picking up to re-cast, don't line the fish- that is use a J hook type cast if needed, don't slosh around much while wading, basic stuff to be sure but very critical on hard hit fish.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar tyer View Post
Awesome underwater footage! I've caught a few salmon there, but they were on pheasant tails.

I'm planning on going up there Friday. I try and go at least once a week if I can.
Hey friar tyer ill let u know when I'm planning on going its tough now that hunting has started but I still wouldn't mind catching a few more rainbows.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsie15 View Post
Hey friar tyer ill let u know when I'm planning on going its tough now that hunting has started but I still wouldn't mind catching a few more rainbows.
Definitely let me know. I'm always up for some fishing.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
On the presentation aspect...I don't mean to go over basic stuff but in addition to drag I would say as light a tippet as possible, laying down a very gentle line and letting it well past the fish before picking up to re-cast, don't line the fish- that is use a J hook type cast if needed, don't slosh around much while wading, basic stuff to be sure but very critical on hard hit fish.
Also good tips no matter how basic. The heavy pressure warrants the extra attention to detail.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road

How's the Swift during these winter months? I've seen video of folks having luck with snow on the ground but I'm not too sure.

It's supposed to be pretty warm this weekend...
Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 PM

Default Swift River Massachusetts

I'm heading there next weekend I've always fished it in the winter and do pretty good just dress really warm with insulated waders!!!
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Bowsie, the wifey and I want to try to head up next weekend as well. I have seen your videos in the past, great stuff. I will have a gopro or 2 and my waterproof nikon so even if I just leave with some footage I will be happy. Would still like to catch some fish though.
bowsie15 likes this.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I am losing it, despite the cold I may head up in a few hours.