The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 PM

bowsie15 is on a distinguished road
Default Swift River Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
I tried a white San Juan with no luck, they barely looked at it. I wanted to bring red and brown but my local fly shop has either been closing early or not opening at all lately so I wasn't able to pick up red or brown chenile. I got the one fish on with a 16 bead head hares ear (didn't have any non toxic split shot) and a size 18 zebra midge, it took the midge.

Liz and I hit the Y pool for a couple minutes before decided to explore the area, we ended up fishing closer to the first foot bridge. Didn't see any salmon.
Ya the salmon are usually tight to the y pool in the deeper holes. It really is an amazing place to fish when they are biting. Or the most annoying when they aren't. It's so frustrating seeing so many nice fish and you can't catch one.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Swift River Massachusetts

Getting the fish to eat is most of the battle on rivers like this so I feel I accomplished something for my first time on the river.

I can not wait to get back up there. I have been thinking about grabbing a 3wt or 4wt 10' rod, with fish so close to you it seems like Czech nymphing could work well.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Getting the fish to eat is most of the battle on rivers like this so I feel I accomplished something for my first time on the river.

I can not wait to get back up there. I have been thinking about grabbing a 3wt or 4wt 10' rod, with fish so close to you it seems like Czech nymphing could work well.
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. There's a guy on another forum who does well on the Swift with a 10' 2wt.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:45 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Rob, the guy that pulled in on the other side of us while we were getting ready is also from here in RI, he kills it with Czech nymphing. Yesterday he hooked up with 15 fish between there and another spot. If it was anyone else I may call BS but I know the guy catches fish like a machine. Mind PMing me the name of the other forum? If I am not already a member I can never be part of too many forums lol.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:14 PM

hmcustodio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
the guy that pulled in on the other side of us while we were getting ready is also from here in RI, he kills it with Czech nymphing.
It must be Clive... he's a maniac on a mission to catch every single trout in the world

Martin
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcustodio View Post
It must be Clive... he's a maniac on a mission to catch every single trout in the world

Martin

Hahahaha, it was indeed Clive. See guys, I told you he is a machine, and everyone knows it.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:14 AM

I picked up a 10' 2wt and we headed up to the Swift on Saturday. We had 12 fish landed between the 3 of us and probably a half dozen long distance releases. Liz now wants to get a 10'2wt as well and we can't wait to get back up there. It started out at 11 degrees on Saturday so I think we did very well considering.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 PM

bowsie15 is on a distinguished road
Default Swift River Massachusetts

Quote:
I picked up a 10' 2wt and we headed up to the Swift on Saturday. We had 12 fish landed between the 3 of us and probably a half dozen long distance releases. Liz now wants to get a 10'2wt as well and we can't wait to get back up there. It started out at 11 degrees on Saturday so I think we did very well considering.
Nice but sounds a little cool ha ha. What kind of 2 wt did you get and what did u spend I'm thinking about doing the same thing for the swift and small brookies up in Maine. I basically use a 9' 7 weight for all the fishing I do stripers, and big salmon it's fine but a smaller weight rod is well over due for the trout.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Good work! I should have my 10 footer finished this week. Any info on flies would be much appreciated...
Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Sorry I missed these posts guys! I got the Greys Streamflex 10' 2wt, sweet rod for this type of fishing. So sweet that we are buying another one for my wife.

I fished a size 16 bead head hares ear with a green/brown bead and hot pink dubbing thorax for a hot spot as my point fly and a size 24 black zebra midge with a fluro red head as my dropper.

I know one fish was caught on the hares ear, but the other 2 I am not sure because the flies fell out in the net before I could see which one it took. My flies only had brass beads and I feel I would have got more fish if they were tungsten. Liz fished 2 size 20 zebras in the Y pool and got a fish there, then switched the point fly to something with an orange bead in the middle of the fly, not sure what it was.