The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 PM

bowsie15 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Swift River Massachusetts

Got ya thanks guys I gotta make it out there yet

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Out there again
Old 05-11-2013, 02:08 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Swift River Massachusetts

Last weekend I was fishing a river here in eastern CT. As we were on a club function, I knew everyone there except for 2 guys.
Turns out that they were both from the Boston area.
Thinking of this thread I asked each of them why they were there, saying "I thought everyone from Boston fished the Swift !"
One guy said that he fished both but liked this river better because it was less crowded. The second guy just looked at me like I was nuts and should have known better then to ask such a stupid question
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Last weekend I was fishing a river here in eastern CT. As we were on a club function, I knew everyone there except for 2 guys.
Turns out that they were both from the Boston area.
Thinking of this thread I asked each of them why they were there, saying "I thought everyone from Boston fished the Swift !"
One guy said that he fished both but liked this river better because it was less crowded. The second guy just looked at me like I was nuts and should have known better then to ask such a stupid question
Ha ha pretty funny!!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsie15 View Post
Ha ha pretty funny!!!!
I concur!

The Swift can be frustrating and it can be awesome. I guess that's fishing.

I just wish it was closer to me.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 PM

I wish there was more trout fishing streams in eastern mass. There's really not many at all where I am at. The places they stock are mostly ponds and the small brooks and streams they stock get fished out by worm dunkers immediately. There are no fly fishing only places also. But on the other hand it is a striper heaven for fly fishing. Still be good tho to go catch a 16" Brookfield someplace close by.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

I don't think there are that many anglers from Boston that fish the Swift. It's more like the dedicated few. You drive and drive, then go round and round, then down in the holler and over the hill and, etc, etc- takes a long time to get there. When you do get there you'll find some Trout Unlimited types doing some technical casting to spotted fish that have seen every fly in existence. One big plus is that most anglers there are sportsmen that honor one another's space and let everyone have a crack at the trout.
What you do have is a really fine stream with trout. I've bounced around a bit and I consider it on par with the Battenkill. Beaverkill, Yellow Breeches, etc. You have ideal water as far as depth and structure, plenty of casting room, etc and well educated brown trout. It's not that turbulent, you can see the trout and you cast to a spotted fish. It's pretty exciting stuff if you cast to a trout consistently without putting it down and then of the umpteenth cast he takes the fly. You can bond with Halford.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar tyer View Post
The street directly across from the parking lot on rte 9 is a dead end. The hatchery pipe access is on River Road. The hatchery pipe parking lot is either the 3rd or 4th dirt road on the right hand side of River rd. You'll know you're in the right parking lot if you see a small brick pump house.
There is a small lot at the end of that dead end where it turns in to the dirt access road for the hatchery. I park in that small lot, didn't know there was one closer to the pump house.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:21 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsie15 View Post
I wish there was more trout fishing streams in eastern mass. There's really not many at all where I am at. The places they stock are mostly ponds and the small brooks and streams they stock get fished out by worm dunkers immediately. There are no fly fishing only places also. But on the other hand it is a striper heaven for fly fishing. Still be good tho to go catch a 16" Brookfield someplace close by.
I agree. The "worm dunkers" as you put it definitely fish out the stocked areas very quickly.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:31 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

The problem, as I see it, is finding suitable water. A lot of it gets too warm in the summer to support trout, okay for spring hatchery fish but that's about it. You really need to find a spring fed creek/stream with year around cold water. Another possible is a "mini-tail water" an old mill that had a mill pond with it, if the outflow could be modified to come out of the bottom of such a dam- maybe a culvert dug around the dam's outside, etc- so that cold water went downstream- that would be critical. You can put in a lattice work to aereate the water. You are right about the worm dunkers, what really kills me is when they cut down all the overhanging brush so they have a nice clear spot to sit and drink beer while they dunk their worms. The lack of shade warms up the water and kills the fish. The only solution that would really work is to identify suitable water and then get the state to declare it fly fishing only with some sort of trout stamp required - you could sweeten the deal for the state if a local Trout Unlimited Chapter was started to improve the stream in question. You see something along those lines in central/upstate New York- 9 Mile Creek, Chittenango Creek, etc- there's a Trout Unlimited Chapter for each stream, the state has responded with stocking, such as 14,000 trout per year in Chittenango. First, find the water, second- get it classified as fly fishing only. Third- try to figure out how to deal with the Massachusetts Fish and Game people.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:59 AM

friar tyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
There is a small lot at the end of that dead end where it turns in to the dirt access road for the hatchery. I park in that small lot, didn't know there was one closer to the pump house.
I didn't know you could go down the dirt road at the end of the street.