The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Drop a Dime?

We have Operation Game Thief here in Colorado. Toll-free number printed on your license, rewards offered. Poaching is taken seriously here. For big game poaching fines of many thousands of dollars and lifetime loss of hunting/fishing access are not uncommon.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

When I lived back on the coast working on a headboat we would give groupe rates from time to time and one particular groupe from Newark came down. Lets just say it was a constant battle to measure fish and get them to release undersized bass. Things came to a head and I being the only deckhand had the Cpt put in a call to F&G. They had our parking lot blocked with black suburbans and swarmed the boat like S.W.A.T.! The local cops were also called as alot of these folks had warrents, both of the local police vans were filled and the F&G guys handed out tickets to just about everyone on board. Typically the CPt and I would be ticketed but in this instance we were the complaintants so we got by.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:40 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
When I lived back on the coast working on a headboat we would give groupe rates from time to time and one particular groupe from Newark came down. Lets just say it was a constant battle to measure fish and get them to release undersized bass. Things came to a head and I being the only deckhand had the Cpt put in a call to F&G. They had our parking lot blocked with black suburbans and swarmed the boat like S.W.A.T.! The local cops were also called as alot of these folks had warrents, both of the local police vans were filled and the F&G guys handed out tickets to just about everyone on board. Typically the CPt and I would be ticketed but in this instance we were the complaintants so we got by.
Ha! So then you had to move to Ohio..
wt bash likes this.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:50 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

I was still shaking with anger as I posted the message last night. I was so angry that I didn't know what to do or where to turn to tell you the truth. I am thankful to have read all of your responses and your input has restored some of my belief in humanity regarding the wildlife that I enjoy and love. Thank you all for your efforts and mutual support.
I have often criticized the Fish and Game (due credit……….Environmental Police) in terms of fees and enforcement in the past. My reference to the “25 minute” response time was intended to be a POSITIVE time line. I never thought that I would hear from them for at least a day or two. Their response time (Matt) was great. If the $$$ rate increases for wildlife licenses result in the services that I witnessed last night, then I am all in!

Maybe I made a difference for a day, I hope that I made a difference for many. The questions remains however..........is it a difference for a day, or a person?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

hahaha! Not much of a change though!
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Kudos on your actions and approach! You nailed it and obviously your Fish and Game was thankful of your report. WE as anglers and citizens need to help them enforce the law. There are far more anglers than there are Fish and Game officers.

I know that while fishing the Erie Tribs, I generally always carry a mobile phone as the poachers there are very common. You will often find one particular ethnic group talking in native tongue, snagging fish and taking more than the limit. They are usually in groups much like what you described and some of these groups have been known to be confrontational.

The very best thing to do is get good descriptions of the individual(s), license plate if the car is in sight and if you have a camera, take pictures. Make the call, report what you saw and let the law handle it. You did it all by the book, good work!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:04 PM

iluv2fish is on a distinguished road

sometimes its up to us fisherman to make sure people follow the laws. Its sad that we have to do that as each person should be aware of each body of waters rules and regs but soometime ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Job well done in my opinion.