The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 01:39 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pulaski Steel

That is correct!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-18-2012, 04:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ahh ok, that makes more sense. Having the weight 4 ft away is just snag-worthy bottom bouncing more than anything else. So I default back to my previous posting, though the tungsten probably wouldn't hurt!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-19-2012, 02:20 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, 4' or less. The fly can also be slightly weighted but not enough that jerking the fly could result in snagging. I think I'll opt for the 8 lb tippet. Maybe I'll even drop down to 6 lb- not sure on that. I have been told that salmon are not line shy so go ahead and use a 10 lb tippet. What about steelhead? If you use a smaller diameter tippet do you get more strikes? On the flies, I know bright colored egg patterns are recommended but what about plain or dark patterns? Would an olive woolly bugger be a standard choice or is it a once in a while thing?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:15 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the weight! All the chromers you want right now at Douglaston and Ballpark. Large beadhead stoneflys and copperjohn stoneflys no additional weight!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:52 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Lately I've had the most luck swinging white streamers, plus I've had more fun doing it... I promised myself that this season I'd work on improving my streamer game and the white ones (like Moto's Minnow) have done the best so far.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 PM

Problem im having is the streamers are catching salmon(nice problem)and the steel seem to be tucked in to the rock riivlets and cut away embankments where swinging a streamer is virtually impossible and definitely impractical. Egg patterns are doing nothing but big stones are getting hammered . As much as I'd rather hookup on a controlled streamer sweep I have to go with what works the stonefly nymphs. Now AJ if you want to give up where your getting them on streamers I'll gladly switch! Haha!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 AM

fichy will become famous soon enough

Anyone fish the SR from Nov.-April ? I'm new here, but not new to wading through the drifts to get to some steel. Last winter was different. I go one or two days every 2 weeks thru April. I'll put up some reports if anyone is interested. I generally highstick nymphs and sucker spawn patterns, occasionally swing crayfish and sculpins low in the column.

Charlie
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM

only on a fly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fichy View Post
Anyone fish the SR from Nov.-April ? I'm new here, but not new to wading through the drifts to get to some steel. Last winter was different. I go one or two days every 2 weeks thru April. I'll put up some reports if anyone is interested. I generally highstick nymphs and sucker spawn patterns, occasionally swing crayfish and sculpins low in the column.

Charlie
Was up a few week's ago & did real well. Small nymph's & egg pattern's under an indicator. Hope to get up next month. Will diffinetly be there for @ least a week in March.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 AM

trial153 is on a distinguished road

Steelhead start coming in sept...but better numbers in OCT and NOV..then the run lasts though the winter in with steady trickle until early spring....we fish till march and April when they start dropping back.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Red Owl;

I'm also totally new for steelhead fishing on the Great Lakes. I recommand you this book
Great Lakes Steelhead, Salmon & Trout: Essential Techniques for Fly Fishing the Tributaries: Karl Weixlmann: 9780811735834: Amazon.com: Books Great Lakes Steelhead, Salmon & Trout: Essential Techniques for Fly Fishing the Tributaries: Karl Weixlmann: 9780811735834: Amazon.com: Books
I just finish read it last week, and it's a VERY good book (when, where, and how to fish).

If anyone have other references, please share !!