The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Pulaski Steel

I know there is a definate season (9/15-10/15) for Salmon but what about steelhead? Is there a short season with a peak of activity or are they in the river for a longer period of time. Can you sight fish them like salmon? How do the methods to catch each differ from one another?
Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Pulaski Steel

steel are running now and will do though out the winter. Later in the season, most fish will be up river.

egg flies, stones are they key flies. If you're a spey guy, some spey flies will work too.
You can sigh fish for them, just look for all the other fishermen, thats where the fish will be.

BTW, your 'salmon season' is off. Its unpredictable. the run started WAY early this year, right at the beginning of september, all wild fish (with adipose fin), then came steelhead and hatchery fish, which i believe are still trickling in
fredaevans likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-17-2012, 04:15 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

More than a trickle ! More like a run with plenty of steelies mixed in ! Hopefully it stats this way for 2 more days!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 PM

only on a fly is on a distinguished road

Will be up there middle of Nov. By far my favorite fish to catch. Wish I still lived up there.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

So the answer is they should be showing up by November and they hang around all winter, so there isn't a "peak" week or two, and egg patterns or stonefly patterns work best. And, upriver (Altmar?) is best in winter. Do they hold in pools, behind rocks in runs? Have the fly bounce bottom? What would be a good tippet test strength? 8 lbs?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

If you're going to be using egg patterns and stoneflies, your best bet is to use your favorite indicator type and set it so that the fly ticks bottom every so often. If you're not getting snagged up every so often, you're likely not in the strike zone. Set your weight (tungsten, shot, whatever you prefer 12-20" above the fly. As far as tippet goes, 3x or so is a good average, around 8 pounds, though you might find yourself having to go lighter based on the conditions. Personally I use fluorocarbon both for its buoyancy properties (it sinks more than nylon mono) and its visibility (closer refraction index to water/less visibility to fish). As far as where the fish are, that is going to depend on a number of factors, from when you arrive in the season to weather conditions to what has happened in the particular run you will be/are fishing. You're better off trying casts tight to the sides of rocks and just in front of them, as fish are less likely to be directly behind the rocks (though they often will be near them). However, try the pools just behind the riffle. As the water gets colder the fish will move back closer to the tailout if I'm not mistaken, but early in the season they should be closer to the head of the pool, unless they've been disturbed. Somewhere that gets pressure like the Salmon River can often see situations where the fish aren't where you would expect to find them because another angler either is or was standing in holding water. Don't forget to fish the inside seams, as often anglers are so caught up chunking casts to the far seams that the inside seams don't get attention. As a disclaimer, all of what I have typed here runs the risk of being entirely incorrect, but I hope it helps.
fredaevans likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
If you're going to be using egg patterns and stoneflies, your best bet is to use your favorite indicator type and set it so that the fly ticks bottom every so often. If you're not getting snagged up every so often, you're likely not in the strike zone. Set your weight (tungsten, shot, whatever you prefer 12-20" above the fly. As far as tippet goes, 3x or so is a good average, around 8 pounds, though you might find yourself having to go lighter based on the conditions. Personally I use fluorocarbon both for its buoyancy properties (it sinks more than nylon mono) and its visibility (closer refraction index to water/less visibility to fish). As far as where the fish are, that is going to depend on a number of factors, from when you arrive in the season to weather conditions to what has happened in the particular run you will be/are fishing. You're better off trying casts tight to the sides of rocks and just in front of them, as fish are less likely to be directly behind the rocks (though they often will be near them). However, try the pools just behind the riffle. As the water gets colder the fish will move back closer to the tailout if I'm not mistaken, but early in the season they should be closer to the head of the pool, unless they've been disturbed. Somewhere that gets pressure like the Salmon River can often see situations where the fish aren't where you would expect to find them because another angler either is or was standing in holding water. Don't forget to fish the inside seams, as often anglers are so caught up chunking casts to the far seams that the inside seams don't get attention. As a disclaimer, all of what I have typed here runs the risk of being entirely incorrect, but I hope it helps.

For Salmon river, added weights, i.e. those not part of the fly, must be no closer than 48 inches from the fly/bait/eggsac

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-18-2012, 12:11 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Since I have not fished the Salmon River, I did not know that rule, thanks for weighing in Eunan! In that case, use tungsten beads, and lots of them.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
For Salmon river, added weights, i.e. those not part of the fly, must be no closer than 48 inches from the fly/bait/eggsac
Wow! Four feet ........
Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 PM

i was technically wrong, heres the quote from NYCDEC Regulations 10.a.2.c(II) e-f

its actually the leader can be no longer than 4ft and the weight cannot hang lower than the hook

(e) Weight shall not be added to the line, leader, swivels, artificial fly or lure in any manner such that the weight hangs lower than the attached hook, artificial fly or lure when the line or leader is suspended vertically from the rod, except from Lake Ontario upstream to the Route 3 bridge from April 1st through August 14th.

(f) The distance between the hook, artificial fly or lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, shall not exceed four feet.

Addicted To Vise