The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Eddie O'Neill
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By biggie_robs
  • 1 Post By ctsteelhtr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 PM

fishma0482 is on a distinguished road
Default Western MA

Hi,
I live in Wilbraham, MA and am new to the sport of fly fishing. I know of the swift river, but where else is good to fish? I don't know of any spots since I am used to pond and lake fishing for bass. Please Help? I need to get out there soon!
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Western MA

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, one of the things you'll learn about fly fishing is that few knowledgeable types will simply tell someone they don't know the best place they know of to fish beyond that we never write it on the net...........

So, you might as well start joining in the conversations that are going on in the threads and let the other Mass. members know you're around, then I'll bet you'll get some tips. There are many fishing guides (books) available and if I were new to your state I'd snatch one up for a starter.

Welcome to the group,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum. Trout Unlimited publishes a great little book called "Guide to Trout Fishing In Massachusetts" A lot of local knowledge in the book, well worth a read.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The Deerfield is probably the top trout stream in Mass.
Fly Fishing the Deerfield River in Massachusetts
I've mostly fished the upper river in VT, but I've spent some time on the river below Fife Brook as well.
I once looked into buying a B&B in Monroe Bridge ($25K) and I didn't pull the trigger... what was I thinking

On the drive there, you're going to pass parallel to the Millers River.... fishes well in the spring
http://www.perfectflystore.com/wmillersr.html

The other major river that I'm familiar with is the Westfield and it's 3 branches make for many miles of trout water
Fly Fishing the Westfield River in Massachusetts

http://www.perfectflystore.com/wsquannar.html
http://www.perfectflystore.com/wquaboagr.html
http://www.perfectflystore.com/wquinapoxetr.html
mcnerney and Nearenuf like this.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 12-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum. The TU book is excellent! I would try the West branch of the Westfield river. The TU book mentions a few locations as well as suggested patterns. That would be my suggestion. By the way, you should read all the regulations as they differ from one branch/location to the other.

Take care,
Dan
Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 AM

ctsteelhtr is on a distinguished road

you have a very good resource very close. The western Mass fly fisherman meet at the Chicopee elks club 3rd Monday of the month. Great group of guys and very freindly.
don't over look some other rivers close to you yes the Deerfield maybe the best river in Mass but will also be crowde at times and you will have to time it just right for the releases from the dam. there are a few good smaller river fairly close to you. Quabog just west of you is good early year as is the Chicopee also a little farther west the Quinebaug near sturbridge can be good at times. If you don't mind paying out of state license fee there a lot of good waters just over the line in Connecitcut.
my first trip would be to the WMFF they are good guys.

steve
mcnerney likes this.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:26 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

You're getting good advice with all the better-known westsern Mass. rivers. Also, the Farmington in Connecticut is not far from you and is one of the better trout streams in the whole Northeast. The Farmington River Anglers' Association publishes a detailed pool-by-pool river guide that is available from them or the local fly shops. (Likewise for the Housatonic.)

For particular secret spots and favorite tribs, though, you will need to get face-to-face personal tips from old hands. The problem with posting specifics here is that most of these spots can't take a lot of fishing pressure, and once something is up on the internet, it is there for the whole world to see forever.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 PM

Nearenuf is on a distinguished road

I just returned to this forum after being AWOL for a few years. What a terrific resource. I always like going out with a Guide the first time I am on a river. If you have the resources, consider going on a float trip with the Harrison Brothers on the Deerfield. Great guys and terrific guides.

Tight lines.

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.