The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Winter Steelheading Journey

That's a "pro" reportthanks for sharing your journey with us
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM

bigkais89 is on a distinguished road

Well today wasnt very successful. 0-2 over a period of three hours.

Weather:

Overcast
40-45 degrees
Rained all night and morning

The stream:

Definitely higher but not blown out at all or stained.

Fish:

None to speak of unfortunately. I had two hook ups but both threw the hook. I vet the feeling the fish had been pestered all day by the other fishermen around but idk.

Flies:

Hooked up on chartreuse and flame size 12. I tried white with chartreuse, white with orange, chartreuse with white, orange with a veil, and oregon cheese in 12s and 14 s with no success. I saw some fish movin upstream through a shallow section and even tried swinging a purple zonker...but nothin.

Technique :

The two fish i had on came from the same high stick technique i used Saturday. I used a large amount of shot to slowly tick the bottom of the run.

Overall:

Great afternoon nonetheless. After a while the other fishermen cleared out and i had it to myself. Didnt work out but i think if i had had more time i couldve managed one at least. Man it gets dark early this time of year! Ill be out again this weekend with a friend of mine who has never fished for steelhead. Hopin to have a good day to get him hooked. Update comin this weekend!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by bigkais89; 12-11-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM

bigkais89 is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the gap in reports. Ive found myself extremely busy lately. Ive recently been hired to a new job in a new city so fishing has been back burnered for now. I ve gotten out twice recently and hooked up with a handful of 10 lb fish. Last outting a citrus clown egg, size 10, slowly drifted through pocket water did the trick. I also had success with a size 12 white egg with a chartreuse dot. Unfortunately no pics to show, but this has been my most successful winter yet! Ill post up when i do get a chance to fish but it may not be as often as i d like. Thanks all.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2