The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   My Winter Steelheading Journey (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/304514-my-winter-steelheading-journey.html)

bigkais89 12-07-2012 11:31 AM

My Winter Steelheading Journey

I ve seen these type of threads on other sites ...sort of a live from the stream type thread. As I go out after steelhead this winter ill post up the conditions, successes, failures etc so i can hopefully get some useful feedback and learn what i need to do to up my game. Ive only been after steelhead with a fly rod for a few years now so im an amateur for sure. I d like to use this thread as a way of tracking my progression and as a way of learning from the great fishermen on this site. Let me know what ya ll think. Ill be headed out tomorrow am for a few hours. So ill make my first post below. Thanks all, wish me luck ;)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

il_wi_fishing 12-07-2012 11:47 AM

Re: My Winter Steelheading Journey

I'll be following along, can't wait :thumbup:

wt bash 12-07-2012 12:59 PM

Interesting idea.

bigkais89 12-08-2012 06:03 AM

Getting ready to head out to one if my fav western lake Ontario tribs this morning.

Weather:

Cloudy and drizzly
Pressure 29.87
38-42 degrees
Sunrise 7:30(ish)

Stream:

Good flow! Clear with that perfect amount of color.

Flies :

I spent the week tying size 12 and 14 egg flies and nuke eggs in natural colors on the advice of an experienced steelheader i recently met. Best flies today were chartreuse and white globugs, white with orange, white with oregon cheese and chartreuse with red blood dot. I caught all my fish on size twelves using these colors.

The Fish:

Went 5-9 in three hours, four steelies and a brown! Not bad at all. Several nice males in the 6-8lb range, a beastly 12ish lber and a big lakerun brown. Unfortunately, i only have pics of one of the smaller males and the larger male. I was stuck with nothin but the phone and touchscreens are finicky in the rain. Next fishing adventure ill remember my camera lol.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/09/yqumygyr.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/09/vebega6u.jpg

Technique:

The key today was plenty of shot to get the fly down the bottom and slowly ticking the gravel. I was using several dinsmores split shots about 18 inches up from the fly on the leader. Im not a huge indicator fan, so i was high sticking without an indicator feeling for takes. Worked out pretty good too!

Where?:

I found some great pocket water followed by a steep dropoff into a 6-9 foot hole that was 20 yds long. They were STACKED in there!

Ill prob be out again monday so another entry will be comin soon. Thanks for readin everybody!:)

lthrnk03 12-08-2012 09:10 AM

Looking forward to hearing your fishing report! Keep us posted and TIGHT LINES!

bigkais89 12-08-2012 11:14 AM

See edit above ^^^

bigkais89 12-09-2012 11:21 AM

Headed out midday tomorrow. Hopefully seeing as its a Monday there wont be many people. Im hopin recent rain brings up some fresh fish, but we shall see. Forecast is calling for mid 40's and drizzly much like Sunday. Ill have to tye up some more globugs in 12 tonight seeing as they we annihilated sat by hungry steelies.

On another note. I forgot to mention in my update from Saturday that the big male i caught was one that broke me off earlier. When i brought him in he had one of my white and oregon cheese eggs in his lip. Thought that was neat. He must've been feeding pretty aggressively to come back and take another egg.

Stream n fish updates comin tmrw!
( hopefully some decent fish pics not from my phone too lol)

gatortransplant 12-09-2012 07:54 PM

Good to see your success! That backdrop is probably one of the most recognizable around Buffalo, you're lucky to have it all to yourself! And good luck tomorrow!

bigkais89 12-09-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatortransplant (Post 505652)
Good to see your success! That backdrop is probably one of the most recognizable around Buffalo, you're lucky to have it all to yourself! And good luck tomorrow!

Haha i know it is a dead give away...but its no secret spot. Thanks!

bradyb 12-10-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatortransplant (Post 505652)
That backdrop is probably one of the most recognizable around Buffalo

Indeed. About the ugliest scenery of any creek in the region. And it doesn't get any better as you walk up to Dirt Dam.