The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: advice on salt water gear

I have a #7/8 Cortland ProCast that I think would be big enough for the ocean, but nothing is sealed so I don't think it would last long in salt water. I also have a smaller Medalist. Do you think I could get away with using either so long as I rinsed them in fresh water afterwards?

These are reels that kind of fell into my lap - they're way too big for the freshwater stuff I've been after and aren't appropriate for any of my rods - so I'm curious of your thoughts.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I agree on getting the 9wt. I only fish the salt maybe 6-7 days a year and I use an 8wt which is fine, but just a little more would be nice. My saltwater reel is just an Okuma Integrity, which the last one held up about 10 years of salty abuse, and I think it died only because the last time out I don't think I washed her out as well. If you come back off the water and really flush it out good with clean fresh water, a reel like the Integrity works fine. I replaced the Integrity with another Integrity (size up one on the reel if you want a decent amount of backing, though.) If I was to move to the shore, I'd have to invest in a proper saltwater reel.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wt View Post
I have a #7/8 Cortland ProCast that I think would be big enough for the ocean, but nothing is sealed so I don't think it would last long in salt water. I also have a smaller Medalist. Do you think I could get away with using either so long as I rinsed them in fresh water afterwards?

These are reels that kind of fell into my lap - they're way too big for the freshwater stuff I've been after and aren't appropriate for any of my rods - so I'm curious of your thoughts.
The Cortand reel will probably be fine. You're going to have to rinse it out well after every outing, oil it too, but you should do that with any reel anyway.

Back when I used a Medalist in the salt, I learned very quickly about daily maintenance. Nothing wrong with that, it's a good habit to get into.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

The Bear's Den fly shop in southeastern Mass. caters to a lot of salty flyrodders and they sell a lot of this stuff for reel care. I haven't used it myself yet but I'm planning to this season.

Salt-Away Fishing Equipment Spray at BEARSDEN.COM

FWIW, when I was getting my first rod for the salt, I was advised to get an 8 weight. I did, and I found it okay for a lot of inshore situations, but when the wind is up it just doesn't have the oomph to get the line out. Also, if you're lucky enough to tie into a 30 lb striper in the surf or a rip it may not have enough backbone to bring the fish in. (Haven't hooked one that big yet myself, but as the Boy Scouts say, be prepared.) I think a 9 is more versatile than an 8 for your first saltwater rod. A 10 will be too heavy for a lot of fishing situations and will tire your arm and wrist out more quickly.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.