The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road
Default advice on salt water gear

Howdy all

I don't yet have a salt water setup but I've been thinking about getting one. I know I need a reel that has everything enclosed so the salt water can't get into the works, but I'm unsure what weight rod I should aim for. I'd be going primarily for blues and stripers.

Any advice would be welcome!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:45 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: advice on salt water gear

I would definitely go for a 9wt. You can get away with an 8wt but you will be a little more limited in the wind. If you are on a budget, Lamson reels are hard to beat and for any price point I love Echo rods. I personally use an Echo 3 but I just bought the wifey an Echo Ion 9wt for christmas and she paired it up with the older version Lamson Konic. In my opinion, this konic is nicer than the one that just came out and she got the Konic 4 for $129 shipped on the that well known auction site.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I see a lot of used gear on Craigslist lately.
People are getting out of saltwater fishing what with the crash of the striper population.
Don't get too hung up on what kind of reel to get. All you really need is something reliable and corrosion resistant. I spent my early years in the salt fishing a Pflueger Medalist

Here's the basics
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...hing-surf.html
imxer likes this.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

IMO, what you buy/use will depend on where you intend to fish most of the time and how much you're willing to spend. I use different set-ups, from a 6 wt to a 10 wt, but I'm fishing primarily tidal creeks & rivers, with occasional trips out into the Chesapeake Bay. This is really brackish water & not that salty. When I'm targeting larger Stripers, which for me has been anything from 18" up to 30", I'll use a 9 or 10 wt most. This is because of wind & the size flies I like to throw. I've caught hundreds of Striper's over the years, but have yet to land one over 30" on a fly. But, I'm OK with that!

I agree with Rip Tide about the reel. For those species, it's not necessary to buy anything special. I use Okuma Integrity reels, which have worked well for me. On my 6 wt is one of the original Lamson LP2 reels (pre-Waterworks), that I also use for LM bass fishing in fresh & tidal rivers. I've landed 30" Striper's with it.

However, if I was spending more time in true saltwater, I would likely want a more corrosion resistant reel and agree the Lamson's would be a good choice.

I've become very fond of TFO rods, but also have a couple of Redington's. TFO are very good rods IMO particularly for the price.

I have fished on the SC coast with what I have, but not extensively. So, what I use for the brackish water has been fine for the occasional trips to "real" saltwater too.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:56 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In the picture below, that's an 8wt rod with a 9wt line and that's what I fish the majority of the time.
When it's windy enough I might switch to a 10wt rod, 12wt line but that wouldn't be my first choice.
Even in the surf I'll fish a (different) 8wt but that particular 10' rod casts best with an 11wt line.
The lighter rods are easier on the arm for fishing an extended amount of time but it's the weight of the line that propels the fly

Click the image to open in full size.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road

Awesome, this is all very helpful!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:42 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

rip tide is that a redington AL reel in the pic...??
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
rip tide is that a redington AL reel in the pic...??
Pflueger Supreme
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Pflueger Supreme
Rip, I have one with a wobbly spool, doesn't look put together right. I bought it for $2 at a flea market. There might be some salvageable spare parts on it. If you want it it's yours.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Rip, I have one with a wobbly spool, doesn't look put together right. I bought it for $2 at a flea market. There might be some salvageable spare parts on it. If you want it it's yours.
That's the largest size, a #1898 I think.
I bought it as a spare, but ended up using it a lot.
When they were closing them out, I sent away for a single spare spool and not only did they send me 2 instead, but I got charged less than the original asking price. Can't argue with "free"

Salt tends to build up under the drag plate. That may be the problem with yours