The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Trout fishing on Long Island.

Scroll down, you'll find all the info you want:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7951.html

Randy

Last edited by randyflycaster; 03-12-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: More info
Old 03-12-2013, 03:20 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce m View Post
Cant help you with the rivers and creeks on LI but I'll save you a lot of grief and advise you to forgo the Citi field, take a run up to Yankees stadium.
Ill take the grief and go to Citi Field! Closer to the streams on L.I. anyway!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-18-2013, 06:42 AM

fishyhands is on a distinguished road

Greetings Gents! Thanks for the info posted so far - I'm getting into fly fishing after growing up a spinner and was wondering what would be good flys tossed by a newbie for brackish sea runs?

Also, being that I'm on the south shore western Nassau, it's tough getting to Oakdale or the Nissy between work and kids, so I was thinking of trying for the white perch, etc. on the creeks near me. Any suggestions for the white perch? I was thinking of some grass (? or is it glass) shrimp, but don't know what else would be good. I'm hoping to use that as good practice before I start looking for the Man in the striped suit in LNB later this month. Thanks in advance...
Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyhands View Post
Greetings Gents! Thanks for the info posted so far - I'm getting into fly fishing after growing up a spinner and was wondering what would be good flys tossed by a newbie for brackish sea runs?

Also, being that I'm on the south shore western Nassau, it's tough getting to Oakdale or the Nissy between work and kids, so I was thinking of trying for the white perch, etc. on the creeks near me. Any suggestions for the white perch? I was thinking of some grass (? or is it glass) shrimp, but don't know what else would be good. I'm hoping to use that as good practice before I start looking for the Man in the striped suit in LNB later this month. Thanks in advance...
try Burns Park in Massapequa(the bird sancuary), Silver Pond in Oceanside or Taco Bell Creek in Lindenhurst.I know spots by JFK but I would have to take you there blindfolded! Mill River in Lynbrook is great but very tidal dependent. Anything small and white or silver will work.
fishyhands likes this.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:54 PM

fishyhands is on a distinguished road

I was trying Mill yesterday, but wasn't having luck with the tide when I had free time. There were a couple of comorants active there so there had to be some bait kicking around. Didn't think of Silver Lake, thanks - I used to launch my kayak at Brower Ave. below it and paddle up with my daughter into the tunnel beneath Atlantic and we'd hoot like owls at the folks walking around that part of the pond.

I hear ya about the spots near JFK, some are near and dear to my heart while yakking. Lots of changes over there courtesy of Sandy. I'm trying old sabiki's flies, (didn't think I'd find a use for bits of the old tired rigs) and maybe a small johnson sprite. Thanks again for the help!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 PM

No problem! When your fishing Mill River 100 ft from where it comes under the hwy it has a cut that on the falling tide fills up with killies.From the top of that tide until almost dead low you can catch big White Perch and a few holdover schoolie stripers.Sabiki flys and small white bucktails are deadly! Once in a while you may get a bruiser carp as well, yes they hit Sabikis!
fishyhands likes this.