The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Trout fishing on Long Island.

Ok...Never thought i would say that.

Pretty good chance i will be taking a week long mini-vacation to LI.

Since i grew up there, i am pretty excited to see that there is some opportunity to catch some trout....even WILD....on Long Island.

ANY help would be amazing........what about the sea run trout?? Hmmm...

I can just see a great spring day, some trout through the day, Happy hour at the Post Office Cafe in Babylon, Then a short walk to the LIRR to catch a game at Citi-Field.....Might have to bring some video equipment for this one.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Trout fishing on Long Island.

Check out the SRBTC site I think they list salter streams, L.I. included.
waterfordcreek likes this.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

wt bash....very nice, thank you.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The Connetquiot River is well known for it's large fish. Never been there myself, but I know that you'll need to reserve a "beat" well in advance in order to fish there.
I'd suggest that you try fishing the salt instead

Connetquot River State Park Preserve Hours of Operation - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
http://www.ihff.com/Connetquot_rules.html
Saltwater Fly Fishing Eastern Long Island, New York
Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

There's a few unmentioned creeks out there that have good trouting but getting info on them over the web is tough (good thing) another aspect is access. Where there's big money there's usually big posted signs.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM

Rip- Good advise and planned for. There are a couple of species in the area that i would love to notch.

wt bash- thats what i am finding. Amazing though, as a kid for about 8 years the family and i would camp at Smiths point. Which is a couple of football fields from the Carmans. We would catch...mixed in with the bay blues....what my dad called a weakfish. Now that i think of it, they were all saltys. Dad isnt much of a fisherman...just a great dad. This area isnt much of a secret. Surprisingly i know the area very well. We would clam, crab and fish those waters from sunup to sunset as a kid. Starting to miss those days.....I really cant wait to go now.

LOL...bluelinein on Long Island......after a little research, i think i am going to extend my trip.

Thanks for the advise......

Jim
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

As far as big fish in the Conney those days are over. There was a whirling disease outbreak in the park so the decided to empty out the river into the bay.You can still catch some fish in the park but for big fish you will need to fish the river below Sunrise Hwy in the brackish water. This section as well as adjoining Rattlesnake Creek still get big Searuns. the Carmens still has natives and big ones! The Nissequoge has a big population of Searuns along with holdover Stripers.
If you are really interested in catching true wild Brookies pm me and i will give you several spots. They are a bit of a hike but well worth it.The streams they are in are small many not on the map!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 PM

Hey John what the access like out there these days? Been a long time since I've been out that way.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:05 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Good if you know the spots. You can pay to get a platform or you can fish the brackish water for free. Im going Wed thru Fri reserved a favorite platform for Thurs and the other days I will be in my brackish spots. If my boy gets there by Thurs nite will have to go to a couple in the woods that few know of. Just came back from a big skunk while visiting him in WV so will have to make up for that in my home waters! If you ever get down that way let me know Ill show you some nice places! Nothing like a big salter to wash the skunk away!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Cant help you with the rivers and creeks on LI but I'll save you a lot of grief and advise you to forgo the Citi field, take a run up to Yankees stadium.