The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 PM

jack crack jones is on a distinguished road
Default Connecticut this summer: suggestions?

So..even though I grew up in Southern CT, I never did anything more than bank fishing local reservoirs and fishing off my grandparent's dock at Candlewood Lake.

I'll be taking a trip there this summer with the family. Can anyone recommend something on these two areas:

1. Where to fish without a boat (spinning reel or fly, I don't own a baitcast)

2. Where to take a float trip (two people: one adult, one teen), and maybe fish a bit while on it.

I will be likely staying somewhere west of Waterbury and South of Litchfield. Not that it's a big deal because everything in the state is only about 2 hrs away from each other. Ideally I'd be looking for somewhere to get away to for a few hours or at most, half a day.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Connecticut this summer: suggestions?

The water may be too low mid-summer but I know people float fish the Housatonic and the Farmington River is one of the best tailwaters in the east.
There's also a "rubber hatch" on the Farmington if that's the sort of float you're interested in

HFFA.NET
FARMINGTON RIVER ANGLERS ASSOCIATION
http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/...onicriver.html
http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/...gtonriver.html
http://www.farmingtonrivertubing.com/
TOPO MAPS

Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-11-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM

passinthru63 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Connecticut this summer: suggestions?

Rip Tide gave you the best two options. Check both those rivers out, you won't be disappointed. You can find guides for both rivers by checking in at the local fly shops. Some good small mouth fishing on the housy in the summer. Enjoy!

Home Page ][ Housatonic River Outfitters ][ 860-672-1010
Welcome
Home - UpCountry Sportfishing on the Farmington River