The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 PM

zarkhd is on a distinguished road
Default New to fly fishing

Hello all, i'm new to fly fishing, had 2 trips to Croton river so far, and had no luck landing a fish (((
i was wondering if anyone is offering guided tours and lessons around New York City area... (50 mile driving distance)

would appreciate any help i can get. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:16 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to fly fishing

Do a Google search of fly fishing shops in the NYC area.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum and our wonderful world
Old 03-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you can find someone to help you...there must be some experienced members from this area on the forum
You can have a look here too:http://www.newyorkonthefly.com/Guides.html
Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 PM

zarkhd is on a distinguished road

thanks guys for the info...
Old 03-19-2013, 03:26 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Welcome to the forum. Tons of good people and knowledge here. I've loved being a part of it for the last year or so!

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 03-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

Don't feel bad if you don't catch anything initially.....the croton is a wonderful river system but dependent upon the conditions and which particular river you went to...it can be tough - it is a tailwater fishery. I've been an addicted diehard since the late 90's and have spent considerable time on just about every river within this vast system. a few thoughts for you 1) you can go on the Croton chapter of TU's website and for $15 buy their guide to flyfishing the croton watershed .......you'd have to spend a lifetime acquiring most of the info they provide to you 2) The Angler's Den in Pawling, NY (google them) offers guided trips on the croton system 3) stay connected to this site......you have experts with years of experience willing to help. I used to fire off tons of questions and the assistance I got was awesome. 4) feel free to PM me with any specifics I love the croton watershed....and also the Housatonic and farmington Rivers in Ct. When i feel like driving more the catskills (Beaverkill and Upper Delaware River) come into play also I'm always happy to help any new fly fisher get even more involved in the greatest sport/ hobby/ past time that mankind has ever seen !!!!!!!!!!!!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 AM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

check out the Bedford Sportsman as well - also the Mianus River over in Greenwich CT (close) gets heavily stocked this time of year with some good size fish - easy fishing on a nice river, despite the 'dog park' aspect - you'll need a CT fishing license, though.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM

streamhound is on a distinguished road

have you tried Urban Angler in NYC? I don't know anything about em but I see their adverts from time to time
Old 04-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Zark: Welcome to the forum! I can't provide much help with that area, but it looks like you got some good advice from the others, best of luck with your progress in fly fishing, don't hesitate to ask questions.