The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 08:09 PM

rockriv is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cattaraugus Creek NY

Im excited to hear about your experience!! Tying some flies currently to pack up for the Catt!!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 AM

cheesesteak is on a distinguished road

Wow! it really takes that long for the Catt to get to a fishable level? I was figuring maybe a week. I have been following the USGS reports and the long term weather which I'll post below. Looks like the rain is supposed to stop today but we could get a significant amount the 18th and 19th. That only leaves us 1 week for the creek to drop down to where we want it. What is your opinion on this if this forecast holds true? Are we screwed?

4/12/2013 52° 35° 0.5 in 0 in Warmer with rain tapering off 54° 35°
Sat
4/13/2013 47° 30° 0.1 in 0 in A couple of showers 55° 35°
Sun
4/14/2013 47° 39° 0 in 0 in Partly sunny 55° 36°
Mon
4/15/2013 65° 43° 0.2 in 0 in Mostly cloudy and warmer 55° 36°
Tue
4/16/2013 59° 43° 0 in 0 in Cloudy, a t-storm possible 56° 36°
Wed
4/17/2013 59° 40° 0.2 in 0 in Mostly cloudy with a shower 56° 37°
Thu
4/18/2013 60° 27° 0.9 in 0 in Cloudy with thunderstorms 57° 37°
Fri
4/19/2013 54° 24° 0.8 in 0 in Cloudy with rain tapering off 57° 37°
Sat
4/20/2013 44° 25° 0 in 0.1 in Colder; morning flurries 57° 38°
Sun
4/21/2013 46° 32° 0.4 in 0 in Mostly sunny 58° 38°
Mon
4/22/2013 52° 43° 0 in 0 in Sunny and warmer 58° 38°
Tue
4/23/2013 56° 41° 0 in 0 in Cloudy 58° 39°
Wed
4/24/2013 50° 38° 0.1 in 0.4 in Cloudy 59° 39°
Thu
4/25/2013 46° 37° 0 in 0.1 in Clouds, a shower in the p.m. 59° 39°
Fri
4/26/2013 49° 34° 0.2 in 0 in Clouds and showers around 60° 39°
Sat
4/27/2013 54° 36° 0.3 in 0 in Plenty of clouds 60° 40°
Sun
4/28/2013 55° 37° 0.2 in 0 in A.M. rain; otherwise, cloudy 60° 40°
Mon
4/29/2013 65° 44° 0 in 0 in Partly sunny and warmer

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

@ Rockriv....What are you tying? I've tied a shitload (enough for 10 guys) of hare's ear, Prince nymphs, woolly buggers, pheasant tails, copper johns, stone flies, various sucker spawn and glow bugs. Hope I have my bases covered. anything else you could suggest?

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Oh yea, spring wigglers, egg sucking leaches and articulated stoneflies too.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

If you haven't yet, tie some hares ears in black, and don't hesitate to add a flashback. I also use a Frenchie-like fly with an orange glass bead in the thorax collared with a partridge feather but the water MAY still be too high (which would have me sticking to bigger stones and flashy egg patterns when I'm not throwing obnoxious streamers). If the forecast holds you'll have a week for it to clear and that may be enough. I'm not going to say you're in trouble because it may drop. You'll also have the option of surrounding creeks which will be in better shape even if the Catt is blown out.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-12-2013, 03:10 PM

Ha....just checked the forecast again and it now shows less rain around the 18th and 19th. Guess it is what it is and we'll just have to take what the fishing gods give us. Gonna tie some black hares ear and those Frenchies you said to tie. How do I post pics here. I couldn't find anythin to use to pull one up from my computer, only from other websites.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:45 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

You have to use photobucket or some similar website and copy the IMG link into the thread in order to post a photo. Those glass beads I mentioned are about 3 dollars at JoAnn for what seems like several hundred.

Catt is at 1350 right now, getting some rain right now so it should come up some more as the day goes on. My fishing buddy mentioned today on our way out toward a local creek that we may not see the Catt come into shape for the rest of the steelhead season, though I hope that will not be the case. If the worst case happens, we'll make sure you get on some more fishable water, because it will be there even if the Catt is in bad shape.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 PM

I get a kick out of swinging big nasty looking flies. And have pretty good luck all over the erie tribs doing so. I tied up some big old purple, white, and black egg sucking leeches as well as some zonkers. May not be as successful on the catt as they are around OH, PA but its worth a shot.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM

Swinging big nasty flies will do you well this time of year, particularly in the higher water. The Catt will certainly not be gin clear, but even in some murk white is a regular killer on the Creek. Nevertheless, black and purple will do you fine as well, especially if the water is really stained as you know. There's plenty of swinging water on the Catt and hopefully you'll get into some fish! The Catt is crawling down towards fishable levels but is still over a grand. There is no turbidity reading as the gauge is reading "FLD", or flood damage.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:16 AM

Well, we're getting down to it and my guys are getting antsy but are worried about the flow. I see that the Catt is down to 722 right now but with the rain in tomorrow's forecast I am quite worried that it will jump back up too high to fish. Will a quarter inch blow it out? Also, when you say "big nasty" flies waht size are you referring to? I have most all of my buggers tied on either 6 or 8 hooks and my nymphs on the same. Lots of sucker spawn, crystal meth and glo bugs as well tied on 8 and 10, I'm at right around 450 total. How are the Chatauqua and Canadaway? Holding any steel?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM

cheesesteak,

big nasty would be some leaches or tube style, spey style flies. size 6 or 8 works. Ill throw some size 2 and 4 when trying to target aggressive fish. the one thing i see with fishing the catt and NY is theres no second hook allowed. which means no dropper fly. so if i was dead drifting i would usually throw a heavier nymph pattern or woolly on top and a spawn sack dropper. although the REZ portion of the catt has no law against fishing two hooks as far as I'm aware.

i was just reading somewhere that its not odd to be fishing the catt well into may. i would think that my local steelhead season here in ohio will be mostly done by that time of year so it gives me hope that there will be an opportunity to make it to the catt when the flows come down in may.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 PM

What's the word guys? Any luck so far?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD