The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   Cattaraugus Creek NY (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/314884-cattaraugus-creek-ny.html)

rockriv 03-27-2013 12:49 PM

Cattaraugus Creek NY

Wanting to make a trip from OHIO to fish the CATT. Mainly wanting to fish the Zoar valley area. Heard it may not produce as many fish as the reservation but it is a gorgeous place to spend the day. Any opinions or guidance would be great!

jaybo41 03-27-2013 01:34 PM

Re: Cattaraugus Creek NY

I have not fished the Zoar Valley but have been told by multiple independent sources that it's a place that every Steelhead Angler should fish one day. I've heard it is absolutely beautiful.

Here's a few pieces that you might find helpful:

Lake Erie

Zoar Valley Multiple Use Area - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

I think Gatortransplant aka AJ has some experience on the Catt.

Would love to see some photos if you end up going!

sandfly 03-27-2013 02:11 PM

Great place to fish, they are there too. lots of runs, pools, etc. great for swinging wets..

rockriv 03-27-2013 04:14 PM

Great! thanks so much for the help and supplying even more motivation for me to go. Im thinking once it warms up this spring ill make the short trip. Mid Aprilish. And i will give results and pictures.

gatortransplant 03-27-2013 10:57 PM

Let me know when you're headed this way. Haven't been down into Zoar yet this year but will likely be headed down there soon. Most my fall and winter fishing on the Catt did happen on the Rez however. My primary fishing buddy has some land on the creek in the valley so we'll likely be camping out there when it warms a bit. I'd be happy to head down there and check out conditions around the time you're planning on heading this way, maybe even meet up to fish!

rockriv 03-29-2013 10:18 AM

Thank you very much! Gatortransplant that would be great! im thinking ill head that way around mid to late april. Ill most definitely contact you prior to get your opinion.

cheesesteak 04-08-2013 03:29 PM

Hey Guys,

Coming up the 26th thru the 29th. Think the water temps will be good as well as the flow and turbidity? Staying @ Zoar Valley Escape right on the creek. Guessing most if not all of the snow will be melted by then with all the warm weather in the forecast. Gonna fish the valley in the mornings and then where we are staying in the afternoons. Any info wiould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

gatortransplant 04-10-2013 08:47 PM

I'll keep a closer eye on it as the time gets closer. We're getting some serious water right now so hopefully it calms down as it gets closer to that week. Hopefully I'll be able to get down there and check the water before you're headed this way but I can't make any guarantees just yet!

cheesesteak 04-11-2013 03:17 PM

Great, Thanks. The trip is already paid for so if the creek is blown out I guess have to give it a go on a couple of the smaller ones a little farther West. Or, we could just sit is some bar, spend a lot of money and make a bar owner happy. Eh, maybe a little of both.

gatortransplant 04-11-2013 04:55 PM

Well let me know. I can give you the bars to sit at OR the places to fish if the Catt is blown (even our small waters right now are up in peoples' backyards and close to overflowing sections of road). Basically, for that stretch of days to be fishable on the Catt you need it to stop raining NOW (I know that sounds ominous...). Keep an eye on the USGS Cattauraugus Creek gauge at Gowanda. You want the discharge to be under 500 and turbidity to be under 30 (ideally). Maybe I can fish with you guys when the day arrives. Or grab beers. EDIT: Or both.