The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   Advice from anyone that fishes catskills and/or delaware river (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/317244-advice-anyone-fishes-catskills-delaware-river.html)

rawtrout 04-21-2013 05:58 PM

Advice from anyone that fishes catskills and/or delaware river

Hello All,
I have a guided trip scheduled for a few weeks from now (early spring) on the West Branch of the Delaware.
My question is what to do for the non-guided first day of my trip. I can stay in Hancock area and fish an area of the Delaware system or stay over in Roscoe area and fish over there.
Only requirement is to find a "beginner friendly" area since I am still on the learning end of this sport.
Also advice on accommodations etc. are much appreciated.
Thanks

4wt 04-21-2013 07:37 PM

Re: Advice from anyone that fishes catskills and/or delaware river

When I was there I stayed at the Neversink Campground, and can heartily recommend it if you feel like camping. From there, it's a quick shot to Roscoe. I've only been once but if you go to the stores around the area you should have some luck. There was a place near an overpass that was good... sorry I can't be more descriptive :/

mattwolf 04-23-2013 11:52 AM

I would recommend styaying in Rosco for the 1st day. You can fish either the Beaverkill or the Willawomac. Take a trip to the Fly Fishing Museum as well. It sits right on the Willawomac.

rawtrout 04-23-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattwolf (Post 549483)
I would recommend styaying in Rosco for the 1st day. You can fish either the Beaverkill or the Willawomac. Take a trip to the Fly Fishing Museum as well. It sits right on the Willawomac.

that is the plan

djtjr 04-24-2013 10:39 AM

i think thats a good plan as well the museum is very cool and the access and fishing on the beaverkill and willow is a lot more forgiving than tring to figure the west especially the east on your own.

4wt 04-24-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawtrout (Post 549583)
that is the plan

Oh good, totally forgot to mention that! Yes, the museum is great. My non-fishing girlfriend enjoyed it as well, actually.

rawtrout 04-24-2013 09:22 PM

I've also heard that some of the public access up that way on the Willowemoc is less crowded. I am not looking for a secret spot but the hendricksons are going to hatch any minute and I don't want to be in the middle of a frenzy since I am (how do I put it nicely) still on the learning end of things and don't like getting in people's way. My semi-informed guess is that the famous pools of the beaverkill and lower willowemoc are going to be very crowded this week.