Moose River Plains or ?

cvd

Reaction score
I’m planning a one week upstate NY vacation in July. Will spend a couple days in Auburn & Syracuse area (baseball HOF, museums, etc.). Will have 2 – 3 days to visit the Adirondacks. I’m thinking about staying at a lodge in the Old Forge/Moose River Plains area. Will do some hiking & sightseeing; and maybe will look for a guide for 1/2 day fishing.

I see lots of choices in the Adirondack Park. Is Moose River Plains a good place to get a sampler (for a visitor from the west coast)?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Welcome to the forum,

I would try to send you over toward the Ausable River and just outside Lake Placid for a good look at the area. Are you going to be driving? This matters because the routes you use coming and going can be as good as the area in which you stay as far as the scenery goes.

Ard

cvd

Reaction score
Yes, we will pick up a rental car at Syracuse. Scenic drive recommendations will be appreciated.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
From Syracuse I would go right up 81 north until I reached Rt. 3; this runs with Rt 126 east and then breaks off into Rt 3.

This road (I haven't rode it since 1988) will thread across the state taking you through the Indian River valley and on to Tupper & Cranberry Lakes area. Lots to see in these little villages. There are numerous streams that run along and cross Rt 3 and some nice camp grounds as you head east/north east on the road.

Rt 3 will go right to Saranac Lake and Lake Placid is just south of there. The road south out of the town of Lake Placid goes through some pretty country but my last ride up there I took Rt 9 over the I-87 known as The Northway and then cruised down the Northway to Lake George. Historic sites include Lake George and Ticonderoga. Of course L. Placid was the 1980 Olympic spot and is very much developed since then but a great place to grab lunch and the T shirt............

Hope you have enough time to take this area in, I made several runs up there while I lived in northern Pennsylvania and wish I had done more.

Ard

mattwolf

Reaction score
I live about 20 miles south of the Adirondacks near Utica, NY The West Canada Creek is probably the best around Old Forge. I am in Old Forge a lot. I snowmobile and also fish the streams up there along with the lakes. The best brook trout stream up there is Twitchel Creek. You can find it by going to Eagle Bay (between Old Forge and Inlet) and head out Big Moose Road. You can access it off of Stillwater/Big Moose Road. I know the area extrmely well. Was just up there this past weekend looking at a hourse to buy in Big Moose. Send me an im if you want to know more information or email me at mattwolf@yahnundasis.com

Thanks,

FYI there is a small orvis shop in the Old Forge Hardware store. I fished the middle brand of the moose river last year out in the moose river plains. to get there you may want to rent a truck or SUV. The road is not that great and kinda bumpy. A car would make it no problem though. I only caught a couple shiners on the moose river last year. There is also the Ceder River out there.