The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gzarboni

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 AM

dgarp187 is on a distinguished road
Default Adirondack adventure

Hey everyone,

I am planning a 3 day trip to the adirondacks with my father and brother. We are looking for a good stream/river that we could fish/camp along. I have been looking at the West Canada Creek starting in Nobleboro and heading toward Mud lake. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 05-08-2013, 07:29 AM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Adirondack adventure

Dan,

What town or area will you guys be staying in? Most of the area you are talking about is private ground owned by the Adirondack League Club and is not accessible. You can drive up a raod so far called Haskill Road. There are gates on it though.
Please feel free to contact me with questions. I live just outside Utica NY about 50 miles from Old Forge and I know the area well.

mattwolf@yahnundasis.com
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM

Hey Matt, thanks for replying and yes i went up there last weekend to check it out and i drove up haskell road as far as i could and there was a little parking area where people were unloading there four wheelers to go riding. Before i could ask any questions they were driving off but would that be a good access point to follow the creek upstream?

Thanks again!

Dan
Old 05-14-2013, 10:15 AM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road

Dan,

Sometimes that gate is open. I drove about 6 or 8 miles back up in there last year. I would take a truck. The road is kinda rocky when you get a few miles back up in. If you have a gps you may want to take it along with you as well so you know which road follows the stream. As far as I know Haskill Road is the only road that follows the stream. There are a few small roads off of it though.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks and good luck.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 PM

Okay Matt thanks for all the information and yes i will bring a GPS along and i'll let ya know how we make out when i get back!

Thanks again.

Dan
Old 05-30-2013, 08:06 AM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

I am not sure if you have taken your trip or not but the west branch of the Au Sable river in Willmington is great fishing. There is also a campground right on rt 86. There are also a few motels and a few resorts.
Nearenuf and 4wt like this.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzarboni View Post
I am not sure if you have taken your trip or not but the west branch of the Au Sable river in Willmington is great fishing. There is also a campground right on rt 86. There are also a few motels and a few resorts.
Yuuup. I was there last weekend and had a blast, even though apparently it was a fairly rough week just prior to my arrival due to the weather. I have to give some credit to Ausable River Two Fly Shop, too. No affiliation but those guys really know what's up and I'm really glad I stumbled into their shop last year and made sure to visit again this time around.