The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Boston Mass, coming from UK, tips for trout fishing locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharkin View Post

woodrivertroutbum, worm hatch? that would blow his mind!

Definitely an option. Like the idea of "dry fly" fishing for large saltwater species? Cinder worm hatch is about as close as you will get. Liz and I will be fishing it as much as possible in May and in to the first week or so in June.

The nice thing about the saltwater license is it will be good for MA and RI and is cheap, about $10 for non residents I believe.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:40 AM

lankster is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I've had a look at the Mass Gov, Fishing Licence requirements, can anyone confirm if it is the "Non-Resident Citizen/Alien Freshwater Fishing for $37.50 that I require.

Also, when I get to the fishing, is the access to rivers and waters controlled by local fishing clubs, like it is in UK where I need a day ticket from a club. Or is the water free to use as long as public access is available.

Welcome any replies.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankster View Post
Hi All,

I've had a look at the Mass Gov, Fishing Licence requirements, can anyone confirm if it is the "Non-Resident Citizen/Alien Freshwater Fishing for $37.50 that I require.

Also, when I get to the fishing, is the access to rivers and waters controlled by local fishing clubs, like it is in UK where I need a day ticket from a club. Or is the water free to use as long as public access is available.

Welcome any replies.
Yup, the $37.50 is good for the full season, but you could also purchase the "3 day" at $23.50 if that would suit your needs. You'd have to choose the three consecutive days in advance, however.
Public water is just that and any club controlled water is rare and will be well marked. Private land is often open too and if it's not it is usually "posted" .

Woodriver....The Mass marine license is not only good in Mass and RI but in CT and NH as well. I'm not sure how reciprocal the Maine license is but the one that I bought last year was all of a dollar
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hi Lankster,

Spend the extra 20 bucks (OK, $14 dollars US and about 9 pounds sterling) and don't restrict yourself to any 3 day period for goodness sake! Heck, a cheap lunch and a pint will cost about the same . Additionally, I would be willing to bet that any saltwater fishing that you do will not require any special access as it will most likely be with another forum member or well known public water.

Just thinking out loud.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:45 PM

4wt is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised the Swift River hasn't come up (there's another thread on it) - if you are looking for a couple hours away from the city, it shouldn't be missed. But, you will have some company.

Where are people hitting the worm hatch? I'm planning to get another rod thi year and haven't decided on a salt water rod or a 2 wt for smaller fish, this would be a great time to get a salt rod though. I went to the Watertown dam as the herring are running, my friend said he caught a schoolie a couple of days ago, but my experience yesterday was unfortunately not so great. You'll probably accidentally snag a herring right through the back, they're so thick, but the striper this year (and in recent years) seems to have been pretty thin.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankster View Post
HI all,

I am coming from UK to work near Boston for 3 wks at end of May. I am hoping to get some fishing in while there over the weekends. I will have a hire car so can get around.

I am looking for Trout fishing, rivers preferred within about a 2-3hr drive max from Boston area.

Also, any ideas on what permits/licences I may need or any regulations I need to know about.

I'm guessing the fishing would be good at end of May.

Any ideas/tips/locations very welcome.!
Hi Lankster,
Just noticed your post. You have a pm.