The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 10:51 AM

lankster is on a distinguished road
Default Boston Mass, coming from UK, tips for trout fishing locations

HI all,

I am coming from UK to work near Boston for 3 wks at end of May. I am hoping to get some fishing in while there over the weekends. I will have a hire car so can get around.

I am looking for Trout fishing, rivers preferred within about a 2-3hr drive max from Boston area.

Also, any ideas on what permits/licences I may need or any regulations I need to know about.

I'm guessing the fishing would be good at end of May.

Any ideas/tips/locations very welcome.!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Boston Mass, coming from UK, tips for trout fishing locations

Hi Lankster,

We have quite a few members in the area and I'm sure someone will have some guidance for you. Eddie O' Neill just relocated to that general area from the UK. Perhaps if you send him a PM he can help, his user name is as I wrote it here. Give him a shout and hang in there for some more replies.

Ard
fredaevans likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Lankster, there are a lot of great trout streams within that distance so I will let someone from the area go in to the details about it.

On the other hand, if you want to try something new and do a little salt water fishing for striped bass, I would be happy to take you out for a day. I am about 45 minutes to an hour from Boston. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in. In the mean time, feel free to start a thread and tell us a little about yourself.

Welcome to the forum!

Alex
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

At the end of May, and within 3 hours of Boston, I would probably head to the Housatonic River, near Cornwall Bridge, in Connecticut. It's juuuuuust under 3 hours from Boston. Two seasons ago I had good dry fly action in late May (light cahills) for some big browns. If the flows are too high, then you can try Furnace Brook with an ultralight rod for a good time.

Anyway, it's an option.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lankster,

Unfortunately, the Boston area is not a trout fishing mecca. There is a significant amount of stocking on most of the larger ponds/lakes and rivers/brooks; both Spring and Fall, but it's far from ideal trout water in my opinion.

North of Boston, there are a series of brooks/small rivers that can yield you both stocked and native trout. These include: Fish Brook in Ipswich, the Ipswich River in Topsfield, the East Meadow River in Haverhill, the Little River in Plaistow, NH.

From Boston you can get out to the Swift River in Western MA in 3 hours, which has some better trout water.

The best trout fishing in the "Boston Area" is probably in Northern Maine. But, you'll be driving about 4 hours to get there. If you're ambitious, then a trip to the origin of the Kennebec River, as it comes out of Moosehead; the East Branch, will give you some very nice trout fishing, as well as a chance at some landlocked Salmon.

Recently, I've started poking about in the Boston area and fishing for small, native Brookies with a 2 wt. rod. If you like this size fish (I do), then there's much more to choose from that's close to Boston.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 04-28-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:30 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Can't give you much input on where to fish as I'm about 3,000 to the west. But one thing I have found is a States fishing regulation books can be a wealth of information. 99% of the time they're on line.

Also do a Google to see if the Fish and Game folks have a web site. Frequently these will have 'fishing reports' that are very timely. The one here in Oregon does every thing but tell you what rock to stand on.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:44 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hi Lankster,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy you visit to Boston. The information that you receive on this forum is great and will lead you to some good trout waters for sure. Aside from the previous mentioned rivers, I would also do some research on the Westfield and Deerfield rivers. Fantastic bodies of water that you will enjoy in terms of fishing and scenic views(Hint: Knightsville Dam for the Westfield river ). These rivers are within 2-3 hrs of Boston and will also expose you to the "small town" aspect of Massachusetts that is often overlooked or ignored by those of us that live here. I have attached a link to the Massachusetts fishing website as requested to address any questions about licensing. See below;

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recre..._home.htmviews

However, as woodrivertroutbum mentioned, the Striped Bass fishing "should" be fantastic during your stay. Don't have any experience or equipment/flies to fish the saltwater?, no problem, I'm sure accommodations and arrangements can be made. Just let us know!

Think about it this way;

I would not recommend that you go to the north end of Boston (known for authentic Italian food) and look for a steak house no more that I would send you to Massachusetts for tout fishing during May.

Imagine fishing for trout with a streamer or any other sub surface fly.........remember that subtle take just before you set the hook?.......hoping it was a strike and not bottom....? A striper hit is like someone trying to rip the rod out of your hands! Don't miss out on the experience.

woodrivertroutbum, worm hatch? that would blow his mind!

OOOOOOPS! forgot about the saltwater license garbage. Either way fresh/salt water fishing will require a license. The website mentioned above will address both.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say that I remember their names, but over the years I've run into 10 or a dozen different guys from the UK that were over every year to fish spring stripers at Cape Cod.
The first few seasons they were coming across the pond as part of a tour with guides but in later years they came individually or within their own little groups
They were REALLY into it as our striped bass were similar to, but much larger than the sea bass that they regularly fished for on the Welch and Irish coasts.

For trout... I agree with the guys that if you want trout, don't expect ito find them near Boston.
If you want to taste quality New England trout fishing.... think Maine
It's not that much further than western Mass. and will be much more of a (civilized) wilderness experience.
There's many outstanding trout streams in Maine once you get away from the coast, but the very best may be the west branch of the Penobscot, the east outlet of the Kennebec, and the tailwaters of the Rangeley area

(Edit....now that I think about it, one of the more enthusiastic Brits that I met while striper fishing was a fellow by the name of Mike Oliver.
Maybe you know him from one of the UK forums)

Last edited by Rip Tide; 04-28-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:56 AM

lankster is on a distinguished road

Hey, thanks so much to everyone for their replies.

The striped bass fishing sounds something special and the description by DHarkin of one ripping the rod from my hands, if I get lucky..wow.

I normally fish for what you guys might call brook trout, in the 8-14" range from a system of brooks and rivers near Bath in Somerset UK. Idyllic fishing and very technical but certainly no trophies.

So lots of choice, I think I need to check out a map first and plan from there.

I will definitely be back in touch!

thanks all!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Maps are a very good thing, and I'd also suggest when you scope down on an area you flip on your computer and hit 'Google Earth.' Amazing what you can learn from that before you go 'boots on the ground.'

One other suggestion I'd make is get yourself a GPS with US maps. Reason is much of your fishing will require quite a drive into areas that you have zero familiarity. Even if you don't have exact coordinates you can key in something that's 'close' and road map it from there. You don't need the biggest/best GPS, just a base model will cover you 99% of the time. Personal preference are the Garmin's. Bottom of my list is the Tom-Toms.

Fred