The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM

critterhunter8 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Where to Brookie fish in Maine?

Hello all! I am a new member of the forum and I have been fly fishing since this past January, but I have been a trout addict for a lot longer than that.
I am looking to spend a week in Maine fishing for (preferably) wild Brook Trout. Having never been to Maine before, I don't really know where to go. If you folks could give me some ideas that would be spectacular. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Where to Brookie fish in Maine?

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, where do you live? This helps to know how far you are traveling before I start trying to send you somewhere.

Anywhere in the Rangely Lakes Region.

Anywhere in the Moosehead Lake Region.

Up toward Jackman from Greenville will take you to the Kennebec and the Moose Rivers.

The Kennebec will be warming near the lake outflow so any of the tributary streams may be better than the main river stem.

Never overlook the West Branch Of the Penobscot anywhere above Big Eddy, plenty of trout in that one but be careful wading.

Start using that computer and searching for info on these places I've mentioned. My experiences there ran from 1979 - 1994 and there were many changes in the fisheries. I'm sure there have been more along with more development as well.

June is Black Fly time in Maine so take plenty of bug dope and a head net.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-07-2013, 04:18 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Ard is not kidding about the black flies.

When my oldest son went on our first camping trip to the Penobscot the black flies liked him enough that the school sent him home Monday because they suspected chicken pox!

His suggestions are good on areas as well. Bring your float tube as well, as a lot of ponds have some really nice Brookies. Baxter state park rents canoes at some of the ponds in the park also.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:53 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum Critter. Bugs are a given up there but we need more info to assist you. The first question I have is...........river fishing or ponds? If you are willing to travel a bit, I have several ponds ( and a few camps) that will serve you well.

Take care,
Dan
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:08 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Maine's a big state, just about any small brook or stream will hold brookies up here.

Quote:
June is Black Fly time in Maine
We've had allot of rain, skeeters and black flies they are getting thick!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bear / Tim,

I've been fed to your bugs many times and learned. Maybe this guy will contact you since you are really there in Maine.

Ard

Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Just shoot me an email, I'll give it my best shot. I'm allot more familiar with the area North of Bangor.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:15 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

To you Maine residents: We're considering moving there, but looking at the fishing regs it appears that it's only 6 months a year, no Gold Medal streams, and no c&r water. Is that accurate or am I missing something?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
To you Maine residents: We're considering moving there, but looking at the fishing regs it appears that it's only 6 months a year, no Gold Medal streams, and no c&r water. Is that accurate or am I missing something?
The season is from May first to the first of October, there are a few exceptions on some of the southern waters I think it goes into November. Every body of water in the state usually has its own special regulation, if your interested here is a link. You have to go into special regs. look up the body of water then look up the s code. If you practice catch and release and fly fish you pretty much have it made.

Maine is a big State, there are big differences in climate and fish species from Northern Maine to Southern Maine and Western Maine for that matter.

I grew up fishing a small brook on my Grandfathers farm in New Brunswick Canada, I guess I'm kind of partial to fishing for small wild brookies in Northern Maine.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Administrator

I was waiting for you Tim,

It has been since 1994 since I've trod along the rivers there but I had 15 years with Maine on my schedule and Northern Piscataquis County was a short 885 mile ride from my home in Cogan Station PA. so I came often. I like Piscataquis the best, the mountains, creeks and rivers will keep you busy for life if you were to live there. If we leave AK. Maine is on the short list here.

As for Gold Medal streams or the like, I don't believe I ever fished a bad one. In 1994 I caught a Sunapee Trout out the Golden Road. I know there should be none that far north and east but I know what it was and it made the whole trip a remembrance.