The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: How important is looking the part?

It's not important at all. Wear what you want, I do.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:23 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

One time I had this guy show up at the stream wearing the exact same waders as me. I was so like, "one of us has to go home and change!" and he was all like "it isn't going to be me!" and I was totally like, dying of embarrassment. Can you, like, believe that guy?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:59 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Agreed.

This one guy who was suiting-up in the parking lot next to me looks over and says "Boy, nice day isn't it?"

I just glared at him and said nothing. Can you believe that guy? I mean, what an ass.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:51 PM

these go to 11 will become famous soon enough

I really don't care what anyone thinks of what I look like when I fish. Most of the time, I try to get off the beaten path and away from the crowds anyway.

An Orvis store treated me really well when I started out, and I still like Orvis gear. If that makes me some fred from a catalog than so be it. If anyone is judging me by my appearance than I don't want to talk to them anyway. Thanks for doing me the favor of weeding yourself out of the pool of decent people I would like to interact with.

Of the many things that are really important in life, appearance while fishing doesn't even make the list.
anermos likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 PM

hivizadams is on a distinguished road

I've never met anyone who cared one iota what another fisherman was wearing. There are people from all walks of life in our sport: some have more money than others, some are better fishers than others, etc. At the end of the day, respect is key: for the fish, the water, and other fishers. What kind of gear a person carries is about as important as the brand of gasoline in the car that got him/her to the water.

About the only thing that matters from another fly fisher's perspective is: "what are they taking?"
Old 01-21-2014, 07:22 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

I am not so sure I agree with all of that, I remember yrs. ago ,one early December morning, I was out on a remote section of a river that shall not be identified. I was alone and not having much success with my selection of patterns. I moved up stream a ways to try another pool and noticed a fellow up stream a ways, it was snowing a bit and I could not see him clearly but could see he was catching fish! When the snow let up I could see this guy was a pretty hefty fellow , I was surprised since it was quite a hike in from any point. We eventually chatted and he give me some flies from his box with some advise and I had a pretty productive afternoon thanks to him. Now this has happened a few times as most FF are good people and willing to share their success and would not probably stand out in my fading memory except for what he was wearing. That bright red coat and stocking cap may not have been considered the "proper attire" however it did fit the weather conditions and made for a lasting memory.

I never did catch his name .......

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 AM ----------

I just realized for a topic that is so un-important the thread is over 10 pages !!
Too funny !

You look the part because you went shopping at a fly shop or catalog. If it swims like a duck and it hangs around with ducks, than .......

If you buy Simms you "sho anint goin golfin" ......

ohh, wait a minute, I think I did go to the golf course in my gear back in the drinking days ...I cant remember
billyspey likes this.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:09 PM

damien28 is on a distinguished road

I have some nice gear but in the summer, I have no problem wearing boardshorts, tshirt and flip-flops. But a box of flies in my pocket, and an extra leader or two. Minimalism is nice!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:39 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

How important is looking the part?

It depends on what you mean by 'part'.

For my 'part', because I fish mostly alone and I'll be 67 in May, the 'part' that's important to me is to be easy to find if I do something stupid and hurt myself.

So, I wear a large Stetson hat and bright clothes. I figure if I get hurt and someone's looking for me, there's a good chance a fisherman or hiker will remember seeing an old guy in a cowboy hat and a bright yellow or orange shirt.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 PM

jr2525 is on a distinguished road

I always figure it's better to turn heads because of my cast or better yet, my bent fly rod than how I'm outfitted. But I must admit that I do look the part all decked out in my Simms G4's and Filson shorty vest...
Old 01-21-2014, 11:29 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

I was a little surprised to find this thread still going. I'm reply #100! I think the winter is getting to us! If you don't believe me, check the General Forum for a thread asking what color to paint his walls!

To answer the question, I try to dress in a dull shade of green, tan, navy or grey - something that won't scare the fish away.

Todd