The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 AM

moxnichts will become famous soon enoughmoxnichts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How important is looking the part?

So its safe to say a googan with the right attitude is only a beginner, and that's all good in my view.
MoscaPescador likes this.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: How important is looking the part?

Here ya are. Everything that you need to know.

How to look good

Quote:
Appearance and behavior are two very important aspects of fly fishing. Act or look the wrong way, and fellow anglers will immediately judge you as an amateur. This first chapter of two will teach you what to wear and carry.
Nearenuf likes this.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcspirit View Post
I guess I was curious to see who else is interested in the "style" of fly fishing.
..and next on the runway is Tim Rajeff, in Simms Guidewear, both waders and boots and all Patagonia from the waist up...polartec 100 fleece and a packaway goretex jacket in mauve with blue and orange highlights....and under it all...undergarments of wicking and warmth...this outfit, at any of our stores can be had for less than $2,500.

yeah, I wear jeans under my Orvis waders and whatever I have that keeps me dry if it rains. Still wearing a a vest from the '70s and I officially don't give a hoot what anyone else wears. I also wear a pfd in my float tube and wade with a staff because I'm just recently old enough to wanna get older...and don't care what anybody else thinks...
fysh and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:42 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcspirit View Post
How important is it to other fishermen out there to look like a good fly fisherman? I guess I was curious to see who else is interested in the "style" of fly fishing.
The look is important to me ... I admit to not wanting to look a certain way.

I like to have good quality stuff, but I really don't like all the new "style" in fishing gear. Sometimes it's hard to find stuff that fits well, functions, and doesn't look like a space suit or an Eddie Bauer catalog.

I really disliked all the molded foam on Fishpond and Simms vests that was really popular a few years ago but has seemed to go away now. I want functional but not flashy, bells and whistles aren't my thing. I don't like dangling stuff. I did just buy a new vest this season and am feeling self-conscious about how clean it is!!

I want to look like a fisherman, and to me that means looking like I know what I'm doing, and that means not carrying every gadget and zinger that will fit on my body but I'll rarely use and never need. So for me this is an old, favorite baseball cap, an old comfortable shirt maybe with the sleeves cut-off above the elbow because the elbows already blew-out. And if I'm going to be fishing all day and walking, I now prefer to just wear my non-fishing specific day pack and the smallest chest pack to carry essentials at hand.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:51 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

One of the funniest things I ever saw.. was 3 guys driving up to a nice creek, very well known for challenging/technical fishing, in brand new everything,, top to bottom, then flail at the water. I doubt they'd ever cast before, but I assume they saw an add somewhere in a fly fishing magazine

Like dean_mt.. I too have a newer vest.. maybe 2 seasons now.. still looks too darn new.. probably the only change I'd have, need full sleeves always.. need to watch the amount of sun exposure - I should wear sun gloves, they just feel so dorky
Old 06-24-2013, 12:56 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

The look is not important to me like most of the guys said if you like you stepped out of a orvis or cabela's,most are just starting.i however have all that stuff and if it's new waders i feel like i just stepped out of the pages of a magazine but thats what i need at the time other days may find me in a pair of cahartt of liberty overalls, or perhaps a pairs of shorts.The look who cares.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:09 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I don't care if I look the part. If anyone is watching with any sort of critical/doubtful eye, I happily squash those judgments when they see me landing fish.
theboz likes this.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I could care less what anyone wears to fish with or their choice of tackle. The whole notion is totally absurd to me. If you're caught up in trying to look or not look a certain way on the river, you might want to re-think your priorities.
troutnut4 and hivizadams like this.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:59 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

There's an old term for this: "Orvis Boy." Never sport more than one new bit at a time. Ever see the advertisement where this 'whom-ever' has a fly rod in his hand and bent over at the 'waste.' Pun intended. Obvious total concentration as he hunts down a six inch fish?

'You finally had to break down and buy a new waders? How long did the old set work?' Real answer is I can't remember. Hell, I don't even know where I was last Monday morning.

'That a new Meiser/Anderson/Burkie rod?' (You really want to look ratty.) 'Can I give it a toss?' Answer is always yes 'But rod/line is new to me so this is going to get some using too.'

Last edited by fredaevans; 06-24-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Spooling earor
Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

This spring I had new waders, new wading shoes, a new TU hat, a new rod and reel, a new net, and a new rain jacket.

I felt like those old pictures you see of Elmer Fudd going fishing.

I didn't notice that the fish cared very much.