The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 PM

ausable is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How important is looking the part?

It's like golf, dressing the part shows respect for the sport,
Hardyreels and fysh like this.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:45 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

I guess I'm in trouble, just picked up a couple of them new fangled lightweight shirts at our local discount store, light blue, been reading to much about skin cancer lately, plus the bugs are killer this year. I don't think it will upset the Bears and Moose to much.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 PM

boyscout is on a distinguished road

Some really great advise and knowledge so far. There are some knowledgable folks here.

Like most have posted, look doesn't count at all. What counts is just having fun and catching a few fish...no matter what you are wearing.

I sport some trendy duds like the silly Tilly hat, high tech fishing shirts, quick dry pants, etc. but not becuase I care how I look, I just don't want skin removed from over exposure to sun. I also like the comfort of Under Armour undies when it is 100F while smallie fishing.

Heck, I even got a buff because my neck is red enough already and don't need no sun burn to go with it. And yes I have sun gloves cause I am too lazy to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours.

Like many have mentioned, it is all about functional gear. Some is overpriced and useless, but some will literally save your hide and make you a lot more comfy. At 46, comfy gets more important.

My 2 cents. Find what works for you and let everyone else have a close relationship with the devil, at his place.

Best of luck all.

BS
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausable View Post
It's like golf, dressing the part shows respect for the sport,
IMHO, I don't believe that dressing the part has anything to do with respect for the sport. Catch and release as well as proper respect to your fellow fishermen might be though.
mojo, dean_mt, hivizadams and 1 others like this.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care how the other guy is dressed, as long as he is dressed.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
I guess I'm in trouble, just picked up a couple of them new fangled lightweight shirts at our local discount store, light blue, been reading to much about skin cancer lately, plus the bugs are killer this year. I don't think it will upset the Bears and Moose to much.
O don't get me wrong...I got one of those shirts on sale at the foremost outfitter for $8. Eight dollars! Come on, I'll buy any shirt that fits for $8.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
I don't care how the other guy is dressed, as long as he is dressed.
Come on William, where's your sense of adventure...and freedumb?

I always appreciate (in a bad way) the fisherman that wears a vest over his bare chest.
williamhj likes this.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
Some really great advise and knowledge so far. There are some knowledgable folks here.

Like most have posted, look doesn't count at all. What counts is just having fun and catching a few fish...no matter what you are wearing.

I sport some trendy duds like the silly Tilly hat, high tech fishing shirts, quick dry pants, etc. but not becuase I care how I look, I just don't want skin removed from over exposure to sun. I also like the comfort of Under Armour undies when it is 100F while smallie fishing.

Heck, I even got a buff because my neck is red enough already and don't need no sun burn to go with it. And yes I have sun gloves cause I am too lazy to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours

BS
I have it all too, and though the Tilley is the one I referenced looking really stupid on me, I wish I had some sun gloves fishing in the gulf last weekend.

That gear makes a huge difference, just ask the guys in the tournament who were beet red at the end of the day. Good gear is a lot cheaper than skin cancer
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

You should wear whatever floats your boat! If you need to wear a ton of high tech stuff so be it , it's your choice. The same if you carry a rod with a few flys in your pocket , that's what makes you comfortable.
BUT I don't know about the term "Googan" but thanks to my son I am well aware of the term "Gear Queer" and I believe this evening I met one fishing the beach. Temperature hovering around 90 and water temp well in the 70s this guy had on neoprenes , a fishing jacket , a buff,strappn cleetes sun gloves and a huge surf bag to go with his impressive rod setup! As I said to each his own but I was sweating just looking at him and it was low tide and he could almost walk across the sound without going over his ankles . Needless to say I felt naked next to him in my shorts and sandals !
His gear would have been perfect for Montauk in November not a Spund beach in June. Sometimes when dressing your best common sense should prevail! Oh and Rips got the perfect urban angler outfit down pat , I'm jealous!
Rip Tide likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcspirit View Post
How important is it to other fishermen out there to look like a good fly fisherman? I guess I was curious to see who else is interested in the "style" of fly fishing.
It's not important at all. I could care less what I look like on the streams and rivers. It is important to have gear that works. But what I look like, could care less...
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

My son Michael , dressed for the part, with the only requirement - a fly rod...

Click the image to open in full size.

...on the East Walker River...

Click the image to open in full size.

...on the Farmington River...

it is a state of mind...not "Project Runway"

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 06-25-2013 at 09:29 AM.