The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 AM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How important is looking the part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcspirit View Post
How important is it to other fishermen out there to look like a good fly fisherman? I guess I was curious to see who else is interested in the "style" of fly fishing.
From spending too many years small streams and tight places, I have a pretty bad case of 'eastern finesse', so many people look at me a little oddly.

I do know I will avoid interacting with anyone looking like they just stepped out of the pages of this weeks big name catalog. The more gadgets and trinkets they have dangling off they vest the more I try to avoid them.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:19 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
I always appreciate (in a good way)the fishing gal that wears a vest over her bare chest.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Especially the mesh ones!
I want to go fishing at your hot spots, John!!
Hardyreels, fredaevans and theboz like this.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:02 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I always dress the part....of the guy you tell campfire stories about. There have been a few times where I scared the poop out of guys and wives or a bunch of kids while coming out of the woods. I enjoy it, that way no one comes at me with lame chit chat in parking lot and no one asks me whats the hot fly.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I always dress the part....of the guy you tell campfire stories about. There have been a few times where I scared the poop out of guys and wives or a bunch of kids while coming out of the woods. I enjoy it, that way no one comes at me with lame chit chat in parking lot and no one asks me whats the hot fly.
Hey Bill! Where you been hiding...er...fish in?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-26-2013, 09:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
I want to go fishing at your hot spots, John!!
Doggie and I did a drive in/just look around a couple of weeks back. Woozer on the beach. Doggie and I out for a drive/look see. And did we ever see.

Parked the Jeep a few hunred yards up the road and just Sandy and I, well my walking staff. (Lower legs are becoming an issue.) Ekkk-Squeek!!

"Ladies, I'm 71, in Dog years Sandy's the same, we couldn't care less."

Towels around, and huge Doggie hugs, chin chucks, fluff ears. I didn't get squat. I gather my 71 is not 'equal' to his. Must admit, one had a 'bush' that, years back, I'd loved to 'Plant my corn.'
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:18 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

I prefer to fish with a smile. I have some good gear but it has taken me forever to save for it. I remember trying to figure out fly fishing on my own by watching others and asking them questions. however, the people that I encountered were not too willing to help. That's why I (try) to fish with a smile, and be approachable. I love to see a beginner and help them any way that I can. I always start with " listen to me...........if I can learn to do it, you will have no problem". I could care less what gear the other guy has. Unless he has a badge!
Hardyreels and dean_mt like this.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:01 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

if i'm fishing and enjoying my time, i could care less about what i, or
anybody else looks like.
just go fish, its not a beauty pageant

casey
bigjim5589 and Hardyreels like this.

ARFE
Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I hadn't thought of it but the post got me to check some pictures. it seems I have a few different looks. I kinda look like a fishing type.

The River look;

Click the image to open in full size.

The Bay look;

The warm day look;

The unconventional chasing salmon down stream look;

The I got him, hold up for picture look;

The I'm getting old & tired look (yes I am sleeping on that seat)

And the most recent picture, looking serious while driving fast in shallow water look.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-30-2013, 07:04 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

Ard, that is classic. I wear a chestpack and hang a net. I find that those things tend to even get in the way. But as Ard pointed out... Every fisherperson gogta have their style. Gadgets or not, does it still bring a smile? I think that is the question.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:38 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I go for comfort and convenience first and foremost. On a hot summer day chasing smallies I'll most often be in tan swim shorts, a T-shirt, and sneakers. I haven't worn a vest for years as everything I need fits in a Totes over the shoulder toiletries bag I found. No one cares on a smallie river. When I go to the Tulpehocken Creek I look like the rube in my usual gear, but the majority of people don't seem to care and are friendly...even the ones in all the "right" gear. The others ignore me so that poses no problem. Sometimes it affords you a little more room on the stream when people want to stay away from you. 'Surely this guy has no knowledge I can glean.'

Bottom line is, it's fishing, not a fashion show. The gear is nice and it is designed specifically for fishing purposes. Use whatever suits you, don't worry about the rest. Like others have said, the fish don't care.
bigjim5589 and Hardyreels like this.