The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 09:31 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How important is looking the part?

I was thinking about my avoidant nature while fishing. I realized I am very judgemental on first sight - oh boy, another character flaw to add to the list!

I have 3 tweed jackets, 2 pipes and a beard.... does that count? (Oh, and patched up waders and a really beat up 20 something year old hat.)
dean_mt likes this.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:29 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Looking the part doesn't matter at all... But in an attempt to stay comfortable all day long... Quick dry pants, a well ventilated shirt, quality waders, waterproof shell, Simms boots, orvis sling pack, make the day more enjoyable no matter how hot, cold, wet or windy it may be and by making different tasks more efficient which leads to more time fishing
dean_mt likes this.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I realize that I probably came across as a bit of an ass in my first post on this thread. I don't really care what anybody wears while fishing. Like a lot of the comments here, I like quality clothing/gear that will last and be comfortable...but I am self-conscious about looking like a...well, like a catalog model, I'll leave it at that. Let's just say I see a lot of fisherman that look "the part" i.e. duped by a good salesman at Orvis, that don't know their Wulff from a LaFontaine. And that's OK, we all had to go out there for the first time, right? I just really appreciate people that can go out and not give a damn about any of the "have to have's" and catch fish and have a great time. I guess part of it is that the first time I "walked out there" I had a crappy $100 rod reel combo (and didn't know the difference) and a pocket full of flies. But maybe that is partially jealously. I'd have a lot more stuff if I could afford it, and I wouldn't feel a damn bit guilty.

Case in point: last week I went to my favorite new river way out in the middle of nowhere with a friend of mine that grew up fishing it. He took me there the first time last year. He is a spin fisherman and fish killer, because that's how he grew up here. We walked 2 maybe 3 miles of river, crossing frequently and fishing all the good holes. I had on nylon quick-dry pants and wading boots. Steve worn a pair of old Levis and hiking boots, carrying his tackle box under his arm and the rainbow he killed (at the first hole) all day long. No water, no food, the one empty beer can (we each brought one) stuffed in his back pocket. I love it so much because I couldn't do that. OK, I could, but I'd be uncomfortable and thinking about it all day. Steve, doesn't even think twice. He could care less and enjoys the hell out of being there where his old man used to take him fishing.

So really I just envy those that eschew the commercial consumer side of our endeavor. I also really enjoy having good stuff that works well. It's just one of my many issues.

Fish on!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I found some more fishing / looking the part pictures

This is Fysh & I rigging up rods last August, we pretty much look like fishermen.
Click the image to open in full size.

This was Mrs. Fysh and Boss scoping out a run looking for a fish. She was looking like a fly fisher type I thought.

Definitely styling here

I like this look, it looks like a fly fisherman casting a big fat salmon fly right at the camera.
bigjim5589 and imxer like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-01-2013, 06:46 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

There's a lot of things to like about fishing and it isn't always just about the fishing. So if part of someone's enjoyment is to buy and wear a lot of nice gear who am I to judge or criticize? What I see is someone who is going out to enjoy a day on the stream, the same as me. I do know that if someone feels good about their equipment it gives them more confidence and they probably fish better. So, yeah, if it is important to someone to look the part then it is important to them.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:57 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

At risk of being a little racy, fishing is a bit like sex...you don't want to know what you look like doing it, but you sure as heck don't want to give it up.
bigjim5589 likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcspirit View Post
How important is it to other fishermen out there to look like a good fly fisherman? I guess I was curious to see who else is interested in the "style" of fly fishing.
Clearly will all do care how we look. To what extent and for what reason, well, that's what makes each of us a bit different. Posts of these type are great and keep all of us coming back for more. That's why we read, post, amend, and ( for some), lie.

I just can't wait to find the dude that posed as Hardyreels! you know the one.......... sporting the bicep "gunshow", how fake can ya get?

That dude deserves a slap.

Joking of course.
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I agree, anyone who would fish shirtless is a disgrace Click the image to open in full size.

It rained pretty good today and I looked the part of a guy trying to stay dry. My ensemble consisted of; Simms G3 jacket & waders and of course the stylish Simms Rivershed wading boots. To top off my look I sported an olive drab cap bearing the Hardy logo but kept the hood of the jacket up all day due to conditions

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I could care less what others look like. I try my best to get in the back country. Hoping not to see another fisherman all day.

The one piece i cant be without.....my Tampa Bay Rays hat.

Just sayin....

Jim
Old 07-21-2013, 06:58 AM

hunt247 is on a distinguished road

For me, fishing fashion is my number one priority, I really want people & other fishermen to look at me & say, Wow! That guy must be an amazing fisherman! Lets go watch him angle! It is physically impossible to look that good & suck at fishing!

Here is a current picture of me, I give permission to anyone that wants to use it in the future as a reference as to what a stylish angler should look like.
You will notice in this pic, I am sporting the Walmart oversize plaid sleep pant in a lovely royal blue.
With the pants I am not wearing any shoes, this is a key component to this stylish outfit.
Up top, I have the equally large Drake camo wading jacket, it really takes the chill away & looks good doing it!
To cap the outfit off, I am sporting a lovely face full of roast beef sandwich on rye bread.Click the image to open in full size.

Have a great day folks!
mikel, williamhj, pa dave and 1 others like this.