The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 03:46 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How important is looking the part?

Quite stylish, but I can't believe those Walmart sleep pants don't have elastic cuffs. It sort of detracts from your image as a world class angler.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Not having elastic cuffs lets the water drain out when wet wading. That is a great picture.
pheldozer likes this.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

when I started fly fishing, I was amazed at peoples hatred of Orvis gear
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 AM

hunt247 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Not having elastic cuffs lets the water drain out when wet wading. That is a great picture.
That's right! I appreciate your fashion sense!
williamhj likes this.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcspirit View Post
How important is it to other fishermen out there to look like a good fly fisherman? I guess I was curious to see who else is interested in the "style" of fly fishing.
It's a personal choice; sort of depends on how you want to view yourself or how you want to be viewed by others, as a fly fisherman.

If it adds enjoyment to your fishing, then I'd say, by all means incorporate style into you gear/attitude/etc. I can tell you from experience though, the fish don't care.............................

Pocono
Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Having read many of the replies on this thread and having had time to reconsider the original post, I have another offering.

Fly fishing is , within the sport fishing world, a discipline. The gear is specific to the technique of fly fishing. For instance, the way in which a fly line and fly are cast often require that the fisherman wade into the river or creek to provide for a proper back cast or in order to reach a distant target. Therefore good chest waders are almost a prerequisite in the sport.

Often times we find ourselves fishing in inclement weather and over time we learn that a good jacket, one made to be waterproof and specific for carrying some fly boxes is needed for comfortable use. Because of this fly fishermen often may sport a quality jacket.

If you follow the inference left by the points I've put forth it is easy to understand why or how many fishermen come to look like poster boys for tackle and gear advertising. In many cases I don't think the appearance of a fellow on the water is so much influenced by what they want to look like but more so by the gradual acquisition of proper gear for use in the sport.

Almost any sport which requires implements and outfitting for the proper safety or effective field use will fit the same profile as that of fly fishing. Myself, I don't have everything but after all these years of trial and error I am pretty well outfitted for this sport. I suspect that many here are in this same camp.

Ard
cpiercem, jaybo41, dean_mt and 1 others like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I am gonna get dressed for success.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:49 AM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

This is a pretty funny thread.

I like to be seen catching a fish ...

Last autumn, I stopped with my son (then 7) at a local river on the way home from my parents' place. He was on a riverside boulder with his Zebco, and I took a place about 30 feet out across a channel in my tevas, shorts, and t-shirt with my 1983 Cortland fiberglass 6/7 weight spaghetti noodle and my $30 small-arbor Cabelas reel. It was a windy day, and casting was right away pretty difficult to do with much grace. Half a dozen kayakers playing in a nearby chute stopped to look me over as I flailed and flapped, like "Who let this numnum out of the fly shop with a pole of his own?" just in time to see me slip on some algae and do a complete submersion in the channel.

But. I came up soaking wet, with a 15" smallmouth on, and landed it with a laughing audience.

<takes a bow>
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds familiar.

I like to cast standing up in my canoe and that's what I was doing one day when some hikers stopped to watch. Probably waiting for the inevitable.
I was concentrating on my cast, trying not to look foolish when I hooked into a nice smallmouth.,
I was so surprised that I fell right over backwards. Not into the water fortunately, but down into the canoe, breaking the seat.
When I got my act together, my audience was gone, but I still had the fish.

From only last month, this picture has a similar story .
I had just done a header into the river and after recovering what was left of my dignity, this little land locked salmon was on my line

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:53 PM

cloutier172 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
it is a state of mind...not "Project Runway"
I love that. As for me. If you find me fishing during the week around noon and you normally can. It looks like i just stepped out of a cubical its because I have. Fishing on my lunch break has been such a blessing for me during the day. It gets me away from my computer out of the office and on the water at that point what I am wearing is of little concern to me. Some days it would be nice to be in waders or rain gear but other than that. It is just therapeutic to be out there.
pa dave likes this.