The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 PM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How important is looking the part?

I remember when I had bought a bunch of new gear (waders, vest, jacket, etc.) and my fishing friends gave me a hard time over it. They said I looked like I was out of some **^**%* catalog.

That's over nine years ago, and since I bought good stuff, I'm still using it. Except now it looks like it just belongs with me on the stream.

Ard has it right -- get the stuff you actually need to do what you need to do.
Hardyreels, fredaevans and pa dave like this.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:24 AM

ctshooter has a spectacular aura aboutctshooter has a spectacular aura about

Life is to short to worry about looks, all I ask is please wear clothes when fishing near me.
jaybo41 and jimp like this.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:16 AM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTShooter View Post
Life is to short to worry about looks, all I ask is please wear clothes when fishing near me.
Good point. Love it.

This is off topic, but are any of you familiar with the Alaskan artist Ray Troll? He has a T-shirt entitled, "the perils of nude fishing." Pretty funny.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have a vintage issue of that shirt. My first was the 'There's No Nookie Like Chinookie' print. I got that at Tony's Salmon Shop at Pulaski NY back about 1993. I have a bunch of them, I'm particularly fond of the 'Fish Worship' print

Now that this thread is back on top the stack I'll add another slant on the subject. I've been doing this fly fishing thing long enough to believe I know something about gear. What I think I know is that it is really hard to 'be' a fly fisherman or woman, and not look like one. I gave up on wanting to be different when I got my hair cut in 1975. Prior to that I didn't want to look the part of what was known as the establishment. What I found out was that even though I no longer had shoulder length hair adorning my appearance, I was still me. Looking the part of a long haired carryover from the sixties really had no effect on who I was. it did however have an effect on how I was viewed by others.

So what the heck did I just say? What does that have to do with looking the part of a fly fisherman?

I could grow my hair long and tie it in a ponytail, I could fish while decked out in tie-dyed shirts and ragged jeans, would that change who I really am? Would it affect whether or not I caught any fish? Probably not but I may get wet without my Simms chest waders and jacket. Do I need a fancy rod and reel, not at all, there are people out there fishing with tackle much less flashy than mine who have forgotten more about catching fish than I may ever learn........ You are who you are and if you are a person who likes to have proper gear you probably look like one.

Looking the part matters I guess, it's up to the individual to determine how they want to look, but I do believe that it's hard to be a fly fisher and not look like one.

Click the image to open in full size.

Nancy snapped that with her phone at fish camp this past summer. I was sitting in the boat waiting for everyone to get loaded up. I think that it also should be considered that if you are a serious outdoorsman whether you climb Denali or camp for a week in the Copper River valley, if you don't have the right stuff it's gonna be a rough climb or week...............I have been fishing in the worst weather that could happen to me from Newfoundland to here in Alaska, I really need to look the part

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-10-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 AM

If people choose to be affected by how I look, then they have bigger problems then I do, and I feel sorry for them.

There are a lot more important things in life to be concerned with.

If your health ever takes a down turn, it opens your eyes a lot and the silly little things just aren't that important any more.

I'm not a religious person, but I do think at some point you will have to answer for your actions at a higher level.

I try to fly fish, and cast a spinning rod too, it makes me happy, and that is all that really matters as far as I can tell.

If you have more money then I do and can buy all the fancy do-dads and look like super fisherman dude, more power to you, if it makes you happy, I'm good with it, someone has to keep these companies in business.

Now I'm going to take my long hair, torn up jeans and tie dyd shirt, throw on my fishing vest, and go fishing
Old 11-20-2013, 04:26 AM

anermos is on a distinguished road

A year or 2 ago i bought some cheap gear (2nd hand and new) and started out. Going in a club to learn to cast and did my first fishing trip with them for 2 days and fall in love with flyfishing.

It was the end of the season so in the time waiting for the new season i changed work and i have terrible hours, my girlfriend had health problems and the fishing was driven to point zero again but never leaved my mind.

Now that everything is getting in place again i tried my waders and my feet didn't fit anymore (waders and shoes) so i had to buy new gear. You need to wade and it's to cold and wet here in the beginning of the season for sandals and shorts.

The reason i bought this are that it had a very versatile sizing chart (what the cheaper ones didn't have), i got long legs and needed the longer foot
I could score some of those in a closeout online now with made me saving like 400 usd on 2 pieces. The rest i bought in the local shop and he has the same brand. And i confess i wanted something a bit more durable and where i read good reviews from. I just bought one thing because i liked it looking good and thats a beanie.

On the other hand when i go for my pike flyfishing now i only where a bad condition working pants and rain jacket with cheap rubber boots and some warm fleece nothing fancy.

So now i will look like a catalogue guy, does this matter.
And yes i gonne need alot more false casting to get line out and learn alot more about entomology and water reading but i think everyone has this when starting out.

The reason i'm going out there is because i love fishing and be in nature, i also love the feeling of the water streaming around my legs being out there trying to break the code of how to do it, and take every fish as a bonus. So if looks or appearance will judge on that i find it kind of sad.
Hardyreels, cpiercem and liverboy like this.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi anermos,

Do not let the topic bother you in the least. Use what works, and enjoy.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
If people choose to be affected by how I look, then they have bigger problems then I do, and I feel sorry for them.

There are a lot more important things in life to be concerned with.
This about sums it up in my mind!

I have wondered why this thread ever started, what it matters, who really cares. Would the guy who wears a garbage bag with holes cut in it as a rain poncho criticize me for having a rain jacket? I have worn garbage bags with holes and been grateful to have them. Will I look at a fellow wearing a bag as a poncho and criticize him, no, because I've been there and done that.

I went to return a DVD the other night and there was a homeless looking man who also appeared to be mentally deranged squatted by the return slot on the building. He tried to engage with me in what sounded like speaking in tongues. I said hello and didn't get involved. My point is that in this country, in all countries, there are people from every imaginable social and economic strata. From the homeless to the billionaire, I took no more stock of the fellow babbling at me at the video store than I would seeing a person parking a Bentley and going inside.

I have only myself to worry about when you get right down to it. What others wear, what they do, as long as they don't infringe upon me I pay little attention to appearances.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-20-2013, 05:41 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

As long as you are confortable who cares! The fish certainly do not care what you are wearing.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzarboni View Post
As long as you are confortable who cares! The fish certainly do not care what you are wearing.
I'm not sure about that, I could have sworn I heard a couple of rainbows laughing at my my tie dye fishing vest, or was it my attempts to cast...
mcnerney and gzarboni like this.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:23 PM

capecodangler is on a distinguished road

I guess I am "Old School".

It is all about catching (and releasing fish).

Staying reasonably dry and warm enhances the experience.

All the rest is merchandizing.
mcnerney and pa dave like this.

The true joy in pursuing trout is that they live in the most beautiful places.