The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 12:34 AM

xcspirit is on a distinguished road
Default How important is looking the part?

How important is it to other fishermen out there to look like a good fly fisherman? I guess I was curious to see who else is interested in the "style" of fly fishing.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How important is looking the part?

I'll say this, I love good gear but there are times when one can overdo it and look like a gaper. Having said that, who cares, I like the way I look when I'm fishing... Happy.

Ok, so I also own a great hat that covers me up, but it's not cool. Not one bit. I may not wear it much for that reason
Old 06-24-2013, 01:28 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewalker1013 View Post
I'll say this, I love good gear but there are times when one can overdo it and look like a gaper. Having said that, who cares, I like the way I look when I'm fishing... Happy.

Ok, so I also own a great hat that covers me up, but it's not cool. Not one bit. I may not wear it much for that reason
You must be a skier or a snowboarder since you know the word, "gaper."

A couple of years ago, a friend introduced me to the fishing word equivalent to the "gaper" called the "googan."

In regards to the OP, dress however you want. A majority of fly fishermen don't care.

Dennis
Old 06-24-2013, 05:36 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I could care less what another guy is wearing...
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:59 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

IMO, the only thing important to me is the presentation of the fly to a hungry trout. There is nothing more beautiful (almost nothing) than to see a well executed cast and a successful hook up to make my day but there is nothing wrong with looking good if that is your bag! I personally don't want to appear as if I have just walked out of a fly shop. To each his own.
Nearenuf and jimp like this.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

I'll almost always take a few minutes to watch a good fly fisher (from a distance of course) because I think I can learn something from them. As a general observation, the guys who look the best at the parking area most often have the least to offer... More often, the guys who offer the most look least like an Orvis catalog........
Old 06-24-2013, 07:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

One place that I fish, the "urban youths" tend to give you a hard time if you're dressed too Orvis-y.

I try not to dress like a total dweeb, but as you can see I'm not very good at that

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:47 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

So that is what a CT. trout looks like! Are you sure that you didn't get that at Orvis?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 AM

mbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the roughmbchilton is a jewel in the rough

When I'm fishing I don't dress to impress anyone. I wear some of the higher end gear because it works, and I like it. I could care less what another person wears on the stream. What irritates me is the guys who make fun of me for the way that I dress. They'll ask why I'm dressing up to go fishing. It's ironic because they care more about what I'm wearing than I do.
fysh and jaybo41 like this.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 AM

thewalker1013 has a spectacular aura aboutthewalker1013 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
You must be a skier or a snowboarder since you know the word, "gaper."

A couple of years ago, a friend introduced me to the fishing word equivalent to the "gaper" called the "googan."

In regards to the OP, dress however you want. A majority of fly fishermen don't care.

Dennis
Totally using "googan"... Hard to find em in our sport though, I feel. Some guy who just blew $1300 bucks at Orvis and looks like it probably cares enough about the sport to learn how to use all of that gear, and who hasn't been at that point in their fly-fishing life? Hard to fault enthusiasm... This is also a sport that you can't fake, and most folks like that are an opportunity to help mold the future anglers.

Talk to them, take a minute and put em on a fish, show them that casting a couple of feet to the right might help, show them the proper way to handle a small native trout. And if they ask about keeping fish, tell them without judgement why you choose not to, and your attitude can go a long way in teaching them to respect the sport and the fish.

What's almost more annoying is people who make comments on a noob to the sport. Those guys that think being a guide for a summer makes them an authority on everything fly-fishing related... I know a couple of old guys around here in TX and OK who still fly-fish in jeans and white t-shirts that could whip the pants off of a lot of good fisherman I know. I thought there was no way that these guys were serious fisherman, but I was wrong. Appearances 'round here can be very deceiving.
rangerrich99 likes this.