The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default How's the West Canada fishing?

We're heading out Saturday morning, will be there late Monday, fishing it first thing Tuesday. If it's like last year, caddis is working, anything else?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:35 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How's the West Canada fishing?

Huh... Looks like I'll have it all to myself... Nice..
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

Hey there. Hopefully ill have a chance to go too with my crazy schedule. Water has been pretty high. 1400cfs and up. My old man was having luck with caddis. March browns also have been around. Although the nymphs that climg to the stones... Hint hint.. Have been my ticket to the bigger guys. Tie em a little flashy.. Maybe some rubber legs.. Good luck and be safe.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:08 PM

Thanks. I've been watching the flows.. Looks like they're backing it down tomorrow a bit. Last year I tagged one of the nicer browns on an Elk Hair Caddis, then a bunch of smaller ones on a BH Hare's Ear dropper. Our cottage is about 3 minutes away.. If you see a blue Xterra with Colorado tags, say hello.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

Will do. Hope you have a great trip. Maybe.. If you dont mind, bring some nice weather with you.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 PM

I told Mrs. nickj that it was BWO weather..
Old 06-29-2013, 06:26 PM

Uh oh... We're in Lincoln, Nebraska, first day on the way to upstate NY. The West Canada is flowing 4500CFS!!!!??? Not good..
Old 07-12-2013, 06:57 PM

West Canada update.... got there last Monday, raining harder than one could imagine, kept it up almost continually for the duration a week and a half. The next
day flows were reported at 5000 cfs, then 7500, then 9000. I'll post pics when we get back showing what the West Canada looks like at 7500 and 9000. Flooding was rampant in the area. By Wednesday the flow had "dropped" to 2500... I prevailed, and caught a few small browns and one very nice one that's learned to use the current to it's advantage...took a lot of line, chased it downstream a bit, finally netted it. Then it started to rain again... Thursday morning got there early, flows were down to 2000.. (that's down?). The water was noticeably lower, took a while to figure out that the fish had moved a bit off shore into new, deeper channels. Caught one, then the warning siren went off. Uh oh, moved to high ground by the bridge, watched for 10 minutes or so- nothing happening. Went back down to the river, noticed that the rocks were sinking, rapidly, called it a day. In Indiana, headed home,