The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM

cloutier172 is on a distinguished road
Default Not having much luck in Northern NH.

Just found this forum and looks like there is a great wealth of knowledge on here. Iím just getting in to fly fishing did a little as a kid but never really learned anything. Now as I stare at my cubical wall as they close in on me I realize life is slipping away and I need to get back outside and enjoy it. I get out fishing almost every day(the upside to having a 1hr lunch with no place to go) I donít spend a lot of time on the water but I am starting to get to know my rod and how to get the line moving. During the week I am limited by time and clothing on where I fish. Mostly I fish on a very heavily fished outlet on the Ammonoosuc with no luck. So I figure I will start to ask some questions. I donít have many flies in my box right now. Are there any flies that you might recommend for northern h given all this rain we have had. Do you know of any good area to go to and practice my form and maybe even catch and release a couple fish?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not having much luck in Northern NH.

Cloutier172...very good idea to go back to flyfishing...feel free to ask all the questions you want ,we have lots of helpful people here
Old 06-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The water is still really high I would think, but you might want to try over on the Androscoggin when you get a chance. Up in the 13 Mile Woods area south of Errol.
I've been told that the fish over there are not nearly as educated as those on the CT River.
During the latter part of June there's huge hatch of what is locally known as alder flies but commonly called zebra caddis . Due to the high water this hatch may continue longer than usual.
You could try a dry fly like an elk wing caddis or a Kings River caddis for this hatch but in my experience what the fish really key in on are emerges. Any you don't need anything fancy.
I use a partridge and peacock soft hackle, but you won't find those in most fly shops. You should ask around for what the locals use, but any nymph or wet fly with a peacock body in about size 12 will do. Something like a Coachman, Prince nymph, or zugbug.
Fish it "on the swing" and manipulate it so that it "swims" to the surface right in front of feeding fish.
Other that that think about trying some pond fishing. Pond hatches are strong now and fishing should be good for a month or so.
The CT River below Lake Francis is a tailwater. That means good water temperature for trout all summer. However.... those fish play hardball.
Good luck to ya.!

Alder Fly
Click the image to open in full size.
Kings River caddis
Click the image to open in full size.
gt05254 likes this.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help with fly fishing in NH but just wanted to say "Welcome to the Forum". Also as you search for more information, I would talk to any fly shops you have in the area, ask them what is working currently, maybe buy a few flies from them for there knowledge. Also while there ask them if there is a local fly fishing club or maybe Trout Unlimited chapter or Federation of Fly Fishers chapter in the area. If you can find someone to mentor you your learning curve will sky rocket. Also take a look at the Orvis Learning Center, there is a wealth of information for a beginner.
How To Fly Fish For Trout, Bass & More | Learn Fly Fishing With Orvis
Another great place for information is the Orvis Fly Fishing Podcast by Tom Rosenbauer: Fly Fishing Podcasts | Weekly Fly Fishing Podcast Tips | Orvis Fishing Podcasts | Fly Fishing Tips W

Also spend some time searching this site, there is a ton of information here to help you learn. Best of luck!

Old 06-30-2013, 04:58 PM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

Hey there cloutier172,

Welcome to the forum. I hate to say this, but if you have read the forum, you may have noticed that we are very willing to help everybody given enough information. Please don't misunderstand what I am saying. We are here to help but we need a starting point. Are you only fishing during work or are you willing to travel on the weekends? A few of the "great People" on the site have responded to you already but I'm willing to toss in a nice shop for you. Check out Fly Fishing the Ammonoosuc River New Hampshire.

Take care,
Dan

by the way, there is some fantastic wild brookie fishing in the CT lakes/river chains. Also, don't hesitate to make a call to fish and game and ask to speak with a Biologist for advise. Don't any of you laugh!!!!!!!!. I have spoken to them a few times.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM

cloutier172 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tips every one. This high water has got to stop. The rivers just start to slow down and get manageable and the water comes back up to flood levels. This is really putting a damper on my lunch time fishing.