The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By troutnut4
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road
Default Loving the USA

Hey guys,

So I recently bought a chalet in elicotville to go skiing with my family in the winter. We were there all weekend enjoying the warm weather when I decided to go for a drive to see if I could find some trout water. Man was I pleasantly surprised! What a beautiful part of the country!

Does anyone know any rivers to start me in the right direction in this area? The Allegheny is beautiful and I hear that there are trout in this system...also they're are many feeder creeks that look wonderful.

Any advice on what rivers or stretches to give my 5wt a workout would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Banned

chipgerrard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Loving the USA

Bump. Come on guys. Need some help here
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM

mattwolf is on a distinguished road

Whereis ellecotville? What state?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwolf View Post
Whereis ellecotville? What state?
Looks like it is way over on the western side of NY, due south of Buffalo.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:08 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Google fly shops in Rochester and call them
Old 07-10-2013, 12:19 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

The last time someone asked me to show some of my choice fishing locations he came back with several friends. Do some research, check with the local fly shop and do some fishing.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chip,

I have not fished Western NY, but have driven through it more times than I can count over the years. Elicotville is a beautiful place, especially in the winter. It's been a long while since I was last there, but Holiday Valley always got very good snow.

I am more familiar with PA waters being that I'm a resident. At least on this side of the state line, you will find a variety of fish in the Allegheny itself, trout included. The tributaries in PA are also known to hold trout either wild or dumped in by sportsmans clubs or by the PA Fish & Boat Commission's "Great White Fleet" of trucks.

The NY DNR page would be a very good place to start your search, these pages are often overlooked.

Fishing - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

I do agree with previous comments to consult with a fly shop and perhaps even hire a guide for a day to get you familiar with the lay of the land so to speak.

Good luck and enjoy that chalet!
mcnerney likes this.