The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   Beaverkill this time of year? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/325888-beaverkill-time-year.html)

4wt 07-22-2013 01:34 PM

Beaverkill this time of year?

I've never done the Beaverkill. Around me, it is hot and muggy and I'm thinking fish aren't too active. Is that the case? Tempted to haul out there next week but it's quite a bit of a drive for me.

Hardyreels 07-22-2013 01:53 PM

Re: Beaverkill this time of year?

Hi,

Someone closer may reply but I used to fish the Catskills and with the weather you've been having the big Beaverkill will be tough fishing. I don't mean impossible but tough. For those who know the river well, rainy days at first light may be the best chance with a streamer fly.

If you are heading that far you will be in the vicinity of many small & shaded mountain brooks. I would choose them for mow not a big wide open river like the B.

Where are you located?

Ard

left field 07-22-2013 03:09 PM

Catskill Flies stream report:

The Beaverkill and Willowemoc- Both rivers remain very low, clear and warm. Yesterday's morning water temp was 67 at 7 a.m. It would be best to leave this river alone until conditions change.

The Beaverkill Angler report:

Beaverkill River, Willowemoc Creek and the Delaware River system.

We had some light rain falling around Roscoe this morning, and although it helped make the air temperatures feel nice it was not enough to help the rivers. With a little luck some of the scattered storms predicted for the area will hit us. We are still advising people to stay off the freestones until water levels come up a bit...they heat up quickly right now. NOTE: The Ball's Eddy Access on the WB is now reported to be open.

REMINDER: The Beaverkill River between the bridges at Horton is now closed to fishing until September 1st. This is a thermal refuge for trout. Pay attention to water temperatures as you fish, if they top 70 degrees move on to different water. Mortality increases greatly at high temperatures due to a lack of oxygen in the water, and even though a trout may initially swim away it will often times expire. There is no such thing as catch and release fishing when water temperatures climb into the 70s.

4wt 07-26-2013 02:43 PM

I'm in Boston... I think I might just go to p-town and sit on a beach instead. Or maybe find some smaller streams that are nearer by.

Rip Tide 07-26-2013 03:01 PM

The fishing might be good at Race Point. When there's a lot of sea herring around fish will blitz the beach even in the summer daylight.
The naked gay men at Herring Cove Beach kinda freak me out :eek:, but there's a huge drop-off there just off shore. It's like a travel lane for game fish
I understand that the flats inside the breakwater can be good to, but I've never fished there myself.

bear 007 07-26-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

The naked gay men at Herring Cove Beach kinda freak me out
I might get bit by a beaver but that's one thing I don't have to worry about up here;)

theboz 07-26-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 576333)
The fishing might be good at Race Point. When there's a lot of sea herring around fish will blitz the beach even in the summer daylight.
The naked gay men at Herring Cove Beach kinda freak me out :eek:, but there's a huge drop-off there just off shore. It's like a travel lane for game fish
I understand that the flats inside the breakwater can be good to, but I've never fished there myself.

So far I've been spared that view the couple of times I fished Race Point!! Wish I could be as lucky at Fire Island!! Not what I'm looking for , why can't it be the female beach!! The fishing stinks on their side!!

Rip Tide 07-28-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboz (Post 576415)
Not what I'm looking for , why can't it be the female beach!! The fishing stinks on their side!!

Be careful what you wish for.
Some of them have body "art" that's nearly as disturbing :eek: