The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 02:43 PM

crashfromboston is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner looking to fish in the city

There is a great shop in west concord center (just off rt 2) they know all the ponds and streams to fish to in that area. Get yourself a copy of the trout unlimited book of fishing spots in mass. Gives great info for all over the state.
The mystic lakes over on the medford arlington winchester line has a a fair amount of fishing too. There is a beach area that is good and wadeable.

There is an orvis shop in dedham, hopefully they will bring one back to boston no shops in boston anymore.

I am over in somerville and just getting back into ff freshwater. I tie far better than i fish. But its all good.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:14 AM

dharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the roughdharkin is a jewel in the rough

If you live in Massachusetts and fish for trout, buy this book.

Millers River Trout Unlimited - Chapter Information
Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 AM

4wt is on a distinguished road

That is a handy book indeed.

He mentions a brook near the Swift that's off the beaten path. I poked my head back there and it seemed like it might have been a bit of a hike and I didn't like where my car was parked so I didn't go any further. I don't have my copy handy right now, does anyone know what I'm referring to? Anyone hike back there and find success?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM

troutfanatic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wt View Post
He mentions a brook near the Swift that's off the beaten path. I poked my head back there and it seemed like it might have been a bit of a hike and I didn't like where my car was parked so I didn't go any further. I don't have my copy handy right now, does anyone know what I'm referring to? Anyone hike back there and find success?
There are a couple of brooks around that area that are off the beaten path that are pretty good. Fished them quite a bit when I was in college in Amherst. I am not sure exactly which one you are talking about, but I have a pretty good idea. There are definitely native brook trout in it and some wild browns if its the same one I am thinking about.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:32 AM

malcolm24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha View Post
Hi everyone,

I am relocating to downtown Boston and am looking for fishing spots, mentors, classes, events, etc. inside the city to get me started.
I just completed my Bachelors at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY and took many classes on fish ecology since the Fingerlakes were right in our backyard! I also spent a summer in the Hudson River Valley doing research on herring in the Tivoli Bays region.

The only fishing I have done involved a wooden stick, fishing line, a hook and worm on Cayuga Lake and Owasco Lake, but I caught plenty of panfish, perch, and even a largemouth bass this way.

Now that I will relocate to Boston without having learned to use "proper" equipment or technique, I am looking for mentors or groups where I can learn the basics.

I also do not have a car; are there fishing spots in Boston accessible via the T? Jamaica Pond is a block from my home and it is stocked with trout and salmon in the spring. The Charles is likely full of carp. I am unsure where else to go.

Any advice, tips, or connections would be much appreciated! thank you!

Gaby
Try the Brookline Res. on Route 9 Less than a mile from Jamaica Pond. They used to stock it with Trout. Also hit the Mystic River (Amelia Airhart Dam) Access behind the Home Depot near Sullivan Station. Huge Carp! Also fantastic Striper fishing when they open the gates to let the boat traffic through. One side is Freshwater the other saltwater so make sure your have the proper license. Also look into the Res on Alewife on the opposite side of Fresh pond. Not sure if you can still access this area. The Fens has huge Carp and Bass, but don't eat them!! (FYI) The area used to be a little dicey so travel in groups during the day.

Good luck and have fun.

Malcolm
Old 04-22-2014, 01:19 PM

The Muddy River has bass? I've seen some huge carp in there (and fished for them a bit) but never saw bass. Good to know.

Definitely want to second the "don't eat them" comment. I've seen some folks fishing in there that sure looked like they planned to if they caught something. Yuck.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 AM

bcarm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wt View Post
I'm in the same neck of the woods. If you have a bike, you may find some places to explore past the end of the Minuteman bike trail. There are a couple of brooks right at the end that connect to a larger river that I've been quite curious about... not sure if there's actually anything in there.
Hi 4wt,

The creeks at the end of the Minuteman dump into the Shawsheen River in Bedford. The Shawsheen is on the MA Wildlife stocking schedule but I've had no luck fishing it.

I live right at the end of the Minuteman right there in Bedford, if you ever plan on peddling out, shoot me a PM and we can do some scouting.

Brad
Old 06-01-2014, 02:35 PM

gabysapha is on a distinguished road

Howdy locals!

Summer is here and I still have not learned to fish. I have lots of fish experience through my undergrad research project on larval herring, but I want to use a rod and reel!

I live in Cambridge, was born and raised in Brookline, and do not have a car. However, if there is interest for an urban-fishing workshop, I'm happy to be the organizer! Perhaps some of us can meet somewhere easily accessible via T/bus and learn from each other? I volunteer to bring snacks and my fish field guide. Even if it's just a few of us with one instructor/one rod, I'm sure there are others like me who would be so thankful just for a chance to see a rod up close and talk to an experience fisherman.

So, is anyone interested in Urban Fishing 101? I don't know about you, but spending a sunny day next to the water with snacks sounds like a good time to me.

Feel free to reply or PM is there is interest. Hopefully the Bostonians on this forum will see this post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dharkin likes this.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarm View Post
Hi 4wt,

The creeks at the end of the Minuteman dump into the Shawsheen River in Bedford. The Shawsheen is on the MA Wildlife stocking schedule but I've had no luck fishing it.

I live right at the end of the Minuteman right there in Bedford, if you ever plan on peddling out, shoot me a PM and we can do some scouting.

Brad
I'll have to let you know!

I might be interested in some urban fishing.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:36 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

BOSTON Bunch,

You might check to find out if there is a Fly Fishing club in the area. It has been my experience that there are usually several members who will provie advice, assistance, etc. Good luck, sounds like you have some good times ahead of you.

Paul

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY