The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   Beginner looking to fish in the city (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/326879-beginner-looking-fish-city.html)

gabysapha 08-01-2013 03:19 PM

Beginner looking to fish in the city

Hi everyone,

I am relocating to downtown Boston and am looking for fishing spots, mentors, classes, events, etc. inside the city to get me started.
I just completed my Bachelors at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY and took many classes on fish ecology since the Fingerlakes were right in our backyard! I also spent a summer in the Hudson River Valley doing research on herring in the Tivoli Bays region.

The only fishing I have done involved a wooden stick, fishing line, a hook and worm on Cayuga Lake and Owasco Lake, but I caught plenty of panfish, perch, and even a largemouth bass this way.

Now that I will relocate to Boston without having learned to use "proper" equipment or technique, I am looking for mentors or groups where I can learn the basics.

I also do not have a car; are there fishing spots in Boston accessible via the T? Jamaica Pond is a block from my home and it is stocked with trout and salmon in the spring. The Charles is likely full of carp. I am unsure where else to go.

Any advice, tips, or connections would be much appreciated! thank you!

Gaby

biggie_robs 08-01-2013 03:28 PM

Re: Beginner looking to fish in the city

Looks like you're just down the road from me, I live just up the hill from JP Oil. Shoot me a PM when you get a chance. Another member, Nick K, may chime in, too. He lives and works in Brookline.

Welcome to JP--it's a great neighborhood!

graybugslinger 08-09-2013 09:40 PM

I've just recently relocated to the Brookline area too. I've scouted out a couple of places, there is Jamaica Pond which you mentioned. But otherwise of come up empty for consistency. If anybody wants to try and get a group together and check some places out or share some places, I'd be game.

4wt 08-11-2013 05:33 PM

I'm in the same neck of the woods. If you have a bike, you may find some places to explore past the end of the Minuteman bike trail. There are a couple of brooks right at the end that connect to a larger river that I've been quite curious about... not sure if there's actually anything in there.

There are carp, catfish, and sunfish in the Charles near the city, further out there's bass and I believe trout as well though I've had no luck myself.

If you have a saltwater rod, Castle Island is supposed to be good for blues and striper. I've seen people catch them there but haven't myself.

Welcome to beantown!

masstroutgirl 12-27-2013 08:24 PM

I am in the same area (I go to Harvard, so I am in the Cambridge area) and was actually looking for the same thing!

I just got into fly fishing this past summer when I worked in Colorado. I have everything that I need to fish, but still not that much experience, and I would love to have some people to fish with/be mentors.

I also don't have a car, but do have a bike, and would love some suggestions of spots to hit up. I love to fish for river trout.

Please please PM me if you are in the area! I miss my Colorado fishing buddies!

Hardyreels 12-27-2013 08:31 PM

Ah yes,

Proof that the forum is a community full of people willing to share what they can to help others. Very cool :shades:

A bunch of you are new here so I'll do a group welcome. I hope you find the forum and some new friends to be just what was needed.

Ard

troutfanatic 01-15-2014 09:15 AM

A good thing to do might be to see if there is a local Trout Unlimited chapter located in the city there somewhere. Going to a monthly meeting is a great way to meet people who know the area and to give you some more insight on fishing out that way.

I live in the Central part of the state, so I don't know of too many spots out that way for fly fishing. I fish a lot of the rivers out this way, such as the Swift, Millers, Deerfield, Stillwater, and the Quinopoxet.

As others have said the saltwater in the spring and summer might be good for stripers if you are interested in doing saltwater fishing.

It sounds like you were in the Environmental program up there at Cornell. :thumbsup:

If you ever make it out to the central part of the state to fish shoot me a PM and maybe we could get together or I could point you in the right direction.

Mike

eastfly66 01-20-2014 06:24 PM

you can take the T out to Concord and be in walking distance to Walden Pond.

The State stocks it heavy (Whites pond also) in the spring. Sounds like you have a few people in the same area ? Why don't you start a "club" maybe the beginning of a new TU chapter !!!!

4wt 02-19-2014 12:53 PM

That would be fantastic.

eastfly66 02-19-2014 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4wt (Post 641740)
That would be fantastic.

get yourself a float tube , you can haul it in a small back pack and fish both Walden and Whites ....