The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   NY's Salmon River in October (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/328038-nys-salmon-river-october.html)

Red Owl 08-13-2013 03:06 PM

NY's Salmon River in October

Last year, last week of September, I did my "first" Salmon River trip and it was great fishing but the Fall colors weren't quite there ( I live in FL). In any event this year I am thinking maybe the first week of October but I am wondering if the salmon run is over but too early for steelhead- not prime. How is the first week of October and what fish should I go after? Last year I was in the DSR. Are there other areas of the river that are equally good? Thanks. :cool:

swampdonkey 08-13-2013 06:34 PM

Re: NY's Salmon River in October

I can't speak to the season as I've only done the March timeframe. I can assure you there is a lot of water to fish for free outside the DSR and it can fish equally as we'll. I believe the big browns from the lake will have moved in by then but hopefully someone from that region can confirm as it may be more towards November.

Either way you might want to bring nunchucks and bear spray. Not for the wildlife but for the combat fishing. That timeframe ensures your going to be in a zoo. There are also some smaller tribs close by that fish well if not blown out and don't draw nearly the same numbers.

Good luck.

s fontinalis 08-13-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Owl (Post 581628)
Last year, last week of September, I did my "first" Salmon River trip and it was great fishing but the Fall colors weren't quite there ( I live in FL). In any event this year I am thinking maybe the first week of October but I am wondering if the salmon run is over but too early for steelhead- not prime. How is the first week of October and what fish should I go after? Last year I was in the DSR. Are there other areas of the river that are equally good? Thanks. :cool:

Salmon run was early last year and there is already salmon in the river this year.

If you like shoulder to shoulder combat fishing with the majority then outside the dsr is the place to be

theboz 08-14-2013 03:35 AM

The Kings are already in the river! If your going on a weekday try the Upper Fly area there will be loads of fish when your going and unfortunately quite a few fisherman! If you fish on a weekday and work the lower half (down river) of the fly zone many times you can have it to yourself . Also as swampdonkey mentioned the smaller Tribs don't usually get the same crowds. If you get some rain prior to fishing the Tribs can be very good!
Just below the DSR is great that time of year but it's a tough wade and walk from the bridge but worth it because your only.competition is generally boats!
I'm heading up Monday I'll try to post how it's going!

---------- Post added at 02:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 AM ----------

And last year in October the Steelhead were thick upriver! Plenty of Chromers to go around!

gzarboni 09-19-2013 09:41 AM

I am coming to the party a little late but i will offer my 2 cents. I was there the 7th of September and the fishing was great. The kings are still in the water but they are thinning out. The cohos will be coming in very shortly. There will be browns also and some steelhead. The other guys are not kidding when they say that on the weekends it will be shoulder to shoulder. There is lots of river to fish that is free and some of the hot spots are the ballpark,the sportsmans pool and the thistle pool. the compactor pool is pretty good to. You can go on the DEC website and download a map of the river. I hope you have a place to stay as most places will be booked. Good luck.

4wt 09-20-2013 10:53 AM

Bah I'm going up on the 10th and was hoping to catch a King. I've never gone for them before and was under the impression early/mid October was still OK.

flytie09 11-11-2013 09:38 PM

Still some Kings in 3rd/4th week of October but most of the run is over. Go for Steelis then in lower river and you'll forget you ever heard of a Salmon. Good luck.:fishing::fishing::fishing::fishing::D