The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 07:55 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold
Default Did anyone know this guy

Fishing the Housatonic today, I came across this plaque on one of the wading paths. Just wondered if anyone knew of this guy. I guess he was well known on this river.

As far as I could make out the inscription reads
Housy Smith
8/1/59 - 4/7/90

Click the image to open in full size.

A life cut short if the dates are correct
Old 08-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Did anyone know this guy

No help with the fellow Eddie but........ Where at are you fishing this river? I used to have friends living in Kent Falls and stayed there often, also fished the river in that area of course

There used to be a great little Café in Kent Falls with only about a dozen tables in it. It was there that I had my first mushroom soufflé it was memorable circa 1985 or so.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Ard, I've been fishing it just north of Cornwall bridge, in the fly only and c&r area. Kent is a lovely town. Very picturesque
Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Cornwall Bridge is just up the road from Kent Falls. When you are fishing from the town side of the river can you see an old rustic home atop the hill opposite side? That is where I stayed when fishing there. The exact same area you're in, pretty strange.

Another thing recalled; the Café was in Cornwall Bridge, not in Kent Falls. When I had the mushroom dish Carley Simon was sitting at the table next to me. It's one of those towns,

Ard

Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 PM

There are a few places you can see from the town side, around the Church pool, that have old railway tracks running along the hill, one of those maybe?
Not been here long, but I'm loving it already.
Carly Simon, how cool was that
Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I've only been there once but Cornwall Bridge, and the Housy, are awesome!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 PM
Administrator

If I recall the Church is downstream of the bridge.............. correct? The place I speak of is up river a few hundred yards before you would see the hillside home. I fished both above and below town, however it was almost 30 years ago and my recollections may not be perfect.

Yeah, it was hard not to say hello to her I was sure it was her because I had seen her a year or 2 earlier in Aspen at Bentley's and again the next day on the street walking. I used to get around Eddie

Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 PM

It does sound like you get around. I should be back on the river early next week, so will check out the houses on the hill. Thirty years is a long time
I bet those mushrooms are still around

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggie_robs View Post
I've only been there once but Cornwall Bridge, and the Housy, are awesome!
A very cool place to fish, I'm very lucky to live so close
Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Cornwall Bridge is just up the road from Kent Falls. When you are fishing from the town side of the river can you see an old rustic home atop the hill opposite side? That is where I stayed when fishing there. The exact same area you're in, pretty strange.

Another thing recalled; the Café was in Cornwall Bridge, not in Kent Falls. When I had the mushroom dish Carley Simon was sitting at the table next to me. It's one of those towns,

Ard
Ard so your the Mystery Man from " Your So Vain " !!
I was sure it was Keith Hernandez from the Mets!!
Well at least it's out in the open now!
Eddie O'Neill likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser