The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Northeast (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/)
-   -   Housatonic newbie (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/northeast/331755-housatonic-newbie.html)

ejsell 09-18-2013 09:00 AM

Housatonic newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but been checking it out for a couple of weeks and have found a lot of great info. The second weekend in Oct. we're driving from Ohio to a wedding in Connecticut. We are spending our 1st. night at candlewood lake at my sister in laws apartment. Looking at the maps, West Cornwall looks fairly close. I figure we are going to have around 4 or 5 hours Saturday morning before we need to take off for Durham. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I mostly fly fish for small mouth but have some limited experience trout fishing in one of the very few trout streams in ohio. How's the morning bite on the Housatonic? What flies and sizes would you recommend for mid October? (I'll be using a 5wt. Rod with floating line.) Are there any good cafes or diners in the area we should try for lunch?

Thanks
Jeff

Rip Tide 09-18-2013 09:25 AM

Re: Housatonic newbie

That's a good time to be in southern New England.
Expect peak foliage that weekend. The leaf peepers will be out in force. :D

If you're going to fish the Housatonic, the most prolific hatch will be size 24 olives. You may see size 18s as well along with size 14 slate drakes (isonychia). Maybe an odd yellow Sally (16).
Midges and ants are always available.

Here's a good map
http://hffa.net/wp-content/uploads/2...ap-650x867.jpg

jpbfly 09-18-2013 01:56 PM

:welcomean Jeff.....hope you'll have a good time Housatonic:)thanks to Rip's advice:)

Eddie O'Neill 09-18-2013 04:34 PM

Good advice from Rip Tide. It should take you 30 to 40 minutes from Candlewood lake, straight up route 7.
Having fished the Housy a few times now, all I would say is be careful wading. It can be very deceiving in parts. Saturdays are sure to be busy also. Go into the Fly shop in Cornwall Bridge, the guys there will set you right.
Home Page ][ Housatonic River Outfitters ][ 860-672-1010
They also have an app that will give you up to date reports, enjoy:)

bear 007 09-18-2013 04:56 PM

I used to spend allot of time in Kent, just south of Cornwall, its been years but you should find all kinds of places to eat in Kent. There used to be a small fly shop somewhere around Housatonic Meadows on Rt. 7, I don't know if its still around but if it is I'm sure you could get some info there.

The drive to Cornwall will probably take you a little over an hour if she's on the southern end of Lake Candlewood, it is pretty country up around Kent and Cornwall.

Candlewood Lake used to have fish in it, like I said its been years since I've been down there, Connecticut has changed allot in 35 years or so.

Eddie O'Neill 09-18-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear 007 (Post 593222)
I used to spend allot of time in Kent, just south of Cornwall, its been years but you should find all kinds of places to eat in Kent. There used to be a small fly shop somewhere around Housatonic Meadows on Rt. 7, I don't know if its still around but if it is I'm sure you could get some info there.

The fly shop is still there, there is also another in Kent called Ripped Lips

ejsell 09-18-2013 06:34 PM

Thanks for all the info so far. That map is great. My sister in laws apartment is off of 39 on the north east side, actually almost in the middle of the lake on one of the fingers. My new brother in law says he's caught exactly one fish off her landlord's dock. Sunday we are playing by ear but I'm hoping to get some time in then also.

Thanks again.

biggie_robs 09-18-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie O'Neill (Post 593207)
Good advice from Rip Tide.
Go into the Fly shop in Cornwall Bridge, the guys there will set you right.

I'll second both of these!

ejsell 10-08-2013 11:43 AM

Got my gear all ready to go last night and we are leaving first thing Friday morning. Can't wait to get in the water on Saturday. I haven't been out in a few weeks and I'm itching just to cast and enjoy the scenery. Catching anything will be a bonus.

Rip Tide 10-10-2013 10:52 AM

From yesterday's CT DEEP state fishing report

Quote:

Housatonic River

Trout fishing should be good this weekend. There are plenty of recently stocked fish, flows have increased due to recent rains, but remain clear, moderate and very fishable (currently 481 cfs at Falls Village and 821 cfs at Gaylordsville) and water temperatures are currently in the mid 50s F (mornings, and rising some through the day).

Hatches/patterns include Blue Wing Olive (#18-26, early morning; spinner fall in evening), Leadwing Coachman (#10-14 evening) and Brown caddis (#14-16, early morning & evening), Sulfur (#16-18), Midges (#20-24) and Light Cahill (#12-14). Large streamers & nymphing the pockets, deeper riffles and pool heads should be productive