The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM

rpm13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need a Good Salmon River Guide

Joe Vivenzio of River Run Troutfitters.............great guy, great fisherman and very, very patient.......

He's a friend, but I took an newbie up for the first time this year and he took the rod out of his hand and said, fish this instead, handing him one of his rods, he then spent the better part of two hours getting him into fish, amazing!!!

Drift boat or wade, this guy can catch fish......
Old 11-12-2013, 05:09 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm13 View Post
Joe Vivenzio of River Run Troutfitters.............great guy, great fisherman and very, very patient.......

He's a friend, but I took an newbie up for the first time this year and he took the rod out of his hand and said, fish this instead, handing him one of his rods, he then spent the better part of two hours getting him into fish, amazing!!!

Drift boat or wade, this guy can catch fish......
Agree with you , great choice! How's his dog?
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-20-2013, 12:56 PM

gzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of lightgzarboni is a glorious beacon of light

There is lot of good advice here and I see that there has been a few PMs also.
Although I only have fished the SR 3 times I would like to throw in my 0.02.

If I were to fish with a guide it would be Randy Jones. I have friends that fished with him and there was nothing but good reviews. My friend has been fishing the SR for 25 years with his dad. This is a great tradition and I want to start it with my own kids. Our first trip with be Sept 2014. I would stay away from the DSR as I heard that the owner is going to raise the rates and limit the number of anglers to 20. There are plenty of GREAT spots that are free.
Be prepared for the weather. I live in NY state and can tell you that the weather is unpredictable. Book a room early as this area will be crowded. This is one of the only resources that this area has along with snowmobiling so be generous when stopping in to eat. Also remember to bring your son to the hatchery and the fish ladder. The hatchery will be exciting for an 11 year old.
Glen

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 01-15-2014, 03:00 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone for the responses. I've started making phone calls to the guides you referred me to.

One question I have, having never fished from a guide boat before, is how well would putting a guide, 2 anglers and an 11 year old boy who is also fishing for steelhead work?

Todd
Old 01-16-2014, 12:27 AM

flytie09 will become famous soon enough

My quick take on 3 guys fishing from a drift boat.... There are a few guides in Pulaski with drift boats big enough and with more than 2 "fishing" seats. Some boats have a bench seat up front and a single seat in the back (not seen a lot, so you'll have to ask up front) . I'd say you put the kid up front and let him use a spinning rod and float with flies/eggs and put your other buddy up there too to work the other side of the boat using the same method. You clean up in the rear. The front of the boat is the "honey hole" from my limited time in a drift boat.

If you're going to be fly fishing, don't expect as much success as if you were fishing with spin rod outfits and floats. And... your arm will be sore as heck at the end of the day as you'll work 2-3x as hard casting all day vs power drifting with floats.

Again, you'll just have to lay out your fishing expectations for the group, fishing types (whos spinning, fly fishing, etc) and everyones abilities. A guide will work hard putting you on fish and make sure you guys have a good time out there.

+1 on Randy Jones - the yankee angler. I've not had the pleasure of fishing with him, but he knows his stuff from what I've read.

Best of luck to you.

Mike
Old 01-16-2014, 01:26 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
My quick take on 3 guys fishing from a drift boat.... There are a few guides in Pulaski with drift boats big enough and with more than 2 "fishing" seats. Some boats have a bench seat up front and a single seat in the back (not seen a lot, so you'll have to ask up front) . I'd say you put the kid up front and let him use a spinning rod and float with flies/eggs and put your other buddy up there too to work the other side of the boat using the same method. You clean up in the rear. The front of the boat is the "honey hole" from my limited time in a drift boat.

If you're going to be fly fishing, don't expect as much success as if you were fishing with spin rod outfits and floats. And... your arm will be sore as heck at the end of the day as you'll work 2-3x as hard casting all day vs power drifting with floats.

Again, you'll just have to lay out your fishing expectations for the group, fishing types (whos spinning, fly fishing, etc) and everyones abilities. A guide will work hard putting you on fish and make sure you guys have a good time out there.

+1 on Randy Jones - the yankee angler. I've not had the pleasure of fishing with him, but he knows his stuff from what I've read.

Best of luck to you.

Mike
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to hire an extra boat rather than stick my son in the middle. My group has turned into 6 including 2 kids. I'm going for 3 guides for two full days of fishing!

I've spoken with just about everyone listed in this thread and had very good conversations with all but one of them. Because he was so well reviewed, I'll skip dropping names for now. The one bad conversation could be attributed toward a bad day. I somehow wound up with two different phone numbers. Both phone numbers lead to a guy with the same first name. The guy from the wrong phone number tried to refer me to someone else. Because of all the confusion, I wound up leaving the guide two messages and an email. Maybe he thought I was being pushy? Who knows?

I'll try to remember to post my thoughts on the guide/s I did hire after I've actually fished with them. For anyone that reads this post, I recommend you call the guides and feel them out before you hire one. Most of the guides in this thread seemed very knowledgeable, capable and worth considering. One guide, Trophy Angler, fishes the private waters exclusively. Because I'm not fishing those waters this time, I passed. If I go back again, I would definitely give him a shot though.

Todd
Old 01-16-2014, 05:39 PM

Remember you're dealing with New Yorkers. And I'm one of them. Direct, no pfooting around and no time for bs. I hope we helped.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Remember you're dealing with New Yorkers. And I'm one of them. Direct, no pfooting around and no time for bs. I hope we helped.
You know Mike... That explains a lot! All kidding aside, I'll remember that and share it with the other 5 people that are fishing with me, especially the two boys.

And Yes, this thread was a lot of help! Without the suggestions, there's no telling what kind of a guide I could have hired or even if I'd shown up at the right time of year.

Much appreciated!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:41 PM

Talking Re: Need a Good Salmon River Guide

Sure thing bud. It could be worse, the Salmon River could be in Jersey. You'd be eaten alive and have no wheels on your car when you guys were done. But seriously... You'll have fun and learn a lot. Most guys up there are fish addicts just looking for a fix. You'll have a trip to remember, especially 2 days guided. I'm jealous.

Mike
Old 01-16-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Sure thing bud. It could be worse, the Salmon River could be in Jersey. You'd be eaten alive and have no wheels on your car when you guys were done. But seriously... You'll have fun and learn a lot. Most guys up there are fish addicts just looking for a fix. You'll have a trip to remember, especially 2 days guided. I'm jealous.

Mike
I know... I can't wait!! I'm taking my, by that time, 11 year old son with me too. What could possibly be better!?!

Todd