The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Northeast

Northeast Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 AM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need a Good Salmon River Guide

I am going on the recommendation of a friend and owner of Concord Outfitters.

Guide:
Pat Muria

PM me if you want his # , I don't want to post it b/c I am not sure if I was given is personal # or business line.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:48 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyfisher View Post

While the fishing there can be quite good, it can also be very slow, so I wouldn't ever go there expecting to always catch fish - I've had 20 steelhead days, and I've had 0 steelhead days, and I'm sure more 0 than 20 fish days. A day of several steelhead landed is a good day there by anyone's standard.

Have fun, John
Last oct. was my first trip ever to the SR. I spent 12 GREAT days from oct 19th to oct 30 th.

I take the opportunity of this thread to make a review of my trip, while I'm preparing this year trip:

I found the words of mt_flyfisher so true ! For exemple, my first 2 days was really bad (no fish in 2 days except a zombi salmon, maybe lining...) In other hand, my 3 rd day was spectacular (for me !) with 11 hook ups and 6 fish landed. (all with egg flies). The rest of the trip was a kind of "hit or miss" with 0 fish day, 2/3 fish day, and an other spectacular day with more than 10 hook ups. 2 regrets of this first trip: I can't be able to land a brown trout, and (maybe the worst !) while my boots was drying (hours befor my plane), I went to the L. fly zone. In 1 hour, I saw almost every guys around landing a fih

I fished the first day with Nick Coppola of slickwater adventures. A very nice guy ! Unfortunatly, the fishing conditions was tought (steelhead had the mouth shut) and a lot of crowd fishing (snagging) zombi salmons.

This time, I'll get a little later (early to mid Nov.) Maybe I'll go with Randy Jones or Joe Vivenzio. An other great guide is Tony Gugino. But he's booked until end of Nov 2014....
Old 03-03-2014, 06:52 PM

nhflyfish is on a distinguished road

Looks like you have been given good guide candidates.

Even though you are locked into dates, start following the Douglaston Salmon Run website (Douglaston Salmon Run, World-Class Salmon Fishing << Douglaston Salmon Run northeast Salmon fishing Steelhead Coho Bass fishing upstate NY >>) in late Sept/early Oct. Being the first stop for steelies coming in from Lake Ontario, you get a good look at when and the number of fish from the daily reports they post.

Not sure about the DSR comment below. Rates may go up but number of fishermen won't go down. The advantage of the DSR is fresh 'chrome' coming into the river.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

From what I hear. The rates are going to go up a lot and they will also limit the number of anglers allowed to fish at any given time. That's just what I hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 PM

headshake609 is on a distinguished road

Jimmy @ Row Jimmy
Always see him using fly rods and he kicks ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2014, 10:54 PM

nhflyfish is on a distinguished road

Douglaston Salmon Run passes are $50 in 2014. Their limit is 350 fishermen per day. Seems like a lot of people. DSR runs 2.5 miles so maybe not too bad.